Retrieve Rate on Older Cannon Mag 10a

I just purchased some older used electric Canon Mag 10a downriggers.  The retrieve rate is extremely slow.... very frustrating actually.  

1. Any ideas how to increase the retrieve rate?

2. Do you know where I may purchase an arm to make them a manual downrigger for the times I just want to get the ball up as fast as possible?

Thanks!

The only "arm" that I have seen is the black plastic emergency handle that came with the downriggers originally.  Maybe contact Cannon or someone on here may have an extra they would be willing to part with for you?

The retrieval rate of the downrigger mainly depends on the motor itself, gearing and the amount of weight you are trying to bring up. The recommended maximum weight for that downrigger is 10 lbs although some folks run heavier on them.

I am chuckling a bit because I actually LIKE the slowness because I use 10 lb weights and my downriggers are without autostop as well. After years of using them fishing solo much of the time I can tell by the sound of them when they are nearly up and I have adjusted the "drag" so they will slip a little if they come fully to the top if I'm busy with something else. As far as the slowness coming up I appreciate it because I am often dealing with other things at the same time and it gives me a little time to do those other things (e.g. steering adjustments). I know autopilot is great and so are the high speed downriggers for many folks but I actually enjoy taking my time while fishing and not being in such a rush to get everything over with quickly (something that is a sign of our times). I could get those things if I really wanted them but I actually enjoy taking my time with things and fully enjoying myself (kinda like fun loving I guess :lol: ) but it helps being retired too so I'm used to not being in a hurry at this point.

Good point on the  / drag setting without auto stop. Flip the switch and do some thing else , it's up out of the water and waiting for you..........

Les I have a LOT of parts for the 10 A's one new housing and 4 housing for the 10's......Let make a deal...LOL

I have a pair of older

Ed 10a riggers that were given to me. They are white housings and solid grey bars I would guess mid 80's vintage. Mine seem to come up just fine as far as I can tell I have been using 8 lb weights. I actually just bought some new 12 lb shark weights for them. My manual said 12 lb was the max.

I have the older Mag 10's and I never really thought that they were slow but I've never fished with the newer style and I never had one stop so fast it ripped off either, I run 12# pancakes before and now I own a pair of 12# torpedoes from Harry. I like Les like the slow mode as it's usually just the two of us and I'm the rod man while my uncles name is "skipper" for a reason (LOL) if your rigger is that slow there must be a problem somewhere. I would say it picks up a foot every second so if your down 60 ft or so, it's like a minute, that sounds about right I guess? I'm a firm believer in the faster you go the longer it takes.LOL when I'm out there fishing I'm enjoying ever minute, taking in the view and smelling the roses as I'm making my way over the water.

I have a pair of older

Ed 10a riggers that were given to me. They are white housings and solid grey bars I would guess mid 80's vintage. Mine seem to come up just fine as far as I can tell I have been using 8 lb weights. I actually just bought some new 12 lb shark weights for them. My manual said 12 lb was the max.

I think the metal bodies were 12# max and the composite bodies one were 10#s I have both styles and the composite body one is cracked where the boom inserts into the body I had Butch make a steel ring to go around the body where the boom fits in, he made it tight that we had to tap it on with a hammer and screwed it fast so far so good until I find a metal body to put all my parts into

I am chuckling a bit because I actually LIKE the slowness because I use 10 lb weights and my downriggers are without autostop as well. After years of using them fishing solo much of the time I can tell by the sound of them when they are nearly up and I have adjusted the "drag" so they will slip a little if they come fully to the top if I'm busy with something else. As far as the slowness coming up I appreciate it because I am often dealing with other things at the same time and it gives me a little time to do those other things (e.g. steering adjustments). I know autopilot is great and so are the high speed downriggers for many folks but I actually enjoy taking my time while fishing and not being in such a rush to get everything over with quickly (something that is a sign of our times). I could get those things if I really wanted them but I actually enjoy taking my time with things and fully enjoying myself (kinda like fun loving I guess :lol: ) but it helps being retired too so I'm used to not being in a hurry at this point.

Les you forgot to mention that every fish you catch is sooo big that it takes longer to reel it in than it takes for the ball to come up, :D

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are two speed of motor one was a lot slower. I could have that one down 60 and start it up and the other one 100 down start it up , it would come up first....all off the same power system..... but it would be a good idea to check wiring for sure.

I have 4 of them but I took 2 off my boat because 4is to many some times depending on who's running the back of my boat and after I put. A kicker on the was to close to it for me then my buddy and the same one and they died so I let him use them and he runs 14 and I have 10 but they still come up just as fast as mine with the 10 I'm thinking yours are on the way out better get the Handel

Dont mean to hi-jack post.......just bought 2 Mag 10 electrics from LOU member yesterday & he said there were no auto stops on this version but has a slow retrieve...is there a way of determining age of Cannons...Also there are 7 screws holding plastic cannon motor cover on and when i was removing screws 4 of them were just spinning. Can i use a longer screw or is there a sleeve i can add to existing holes. Is there supposed to be some type of gasket between housing & cover...Any help would be appreciated....Thanks mmmevy..

Bought 2 used Mag 10A a couple years ago from the forum.  They were both pretty slow.  After several uses one basically completely died the other is one its way out.  Went back to manuals.  Cannot get motors for these either, that is the issue.  Apparently you can get some wiper motors to replace them but haven't bothered.

Dont mean to hi-jack post.......just bought 2 Mag 10 electrics from LOU member yesterday & he said there were no auto stops on this version but has a slow retrieve...is there a way of determining age of Cannons...Also there are 7 screws holding plastic cannon motor cover on and when i was removing screws 4 of them were just spinning. Can i use a longer screw or is there a sleeve i can add to existing holes. Is there supposed to be some type of gasket between housing & cover...Any help would be appreciated....Thanks mmmevy..

A number a way to address it,

Fill with gorilla glue and re drill

Use a seal around it

They do fit pretty tight I think water gets in thru the rubber boots being wore out more than the housing.

I think the motors can be rebuilt but I didnot look into it any more after I bought new ones.

You can turn them into auto,stop its a 75$ pluss upgrade doing it your self but wire it wrong and you will FRY the circuit board.