Draining I/O 's cold snap?

It looks like the temps will below freezing from 12 am Friday night and won't rise above freezing until 8 am. What is everyone's opinion on if we should be worried about our blocks/thermostats freezing and cracking?

If your boat is in the water, no issue. If your boat is on a trailer, run an extension cord into the boat and connect a 40 watt light bulb, and hang it in the engine compartment. Or you can use a dipstick heater. But getting down to 30 degrees it really won't freeze.

I'm a little concerned as well. When not in use my boat is stored in a pole barn up near the lake. I'm hoping that being inside the barn and near the lake that will help keep it a degree or two warmer. Being that it only suppose to get down to 30 or 31 I'm not sure that is cold enough to do damage. Would hate to find out though.  

Edited by A-Lure-A

I wouldn't necessarily rewinterize, but it might not be a bad idea to open the block and riser petcocks and drain the water out of the engine.  I don't think it'll get cold enough for long enough for a hard freeze.

My wife was concerned too but I figured it’s not long enough to freeze solid. I hope!

100% correct, it would have to get down in the low 20's to freeze solid and crack stuff

I put a 60 watt trouble light in the engine compartment last night with my boat still on my trailer in my driveway. Low temp. overnight was 34 degrees - town of Ontario and trace water in my bilge was still liquid as of 6 AM. Nothing to worry about gents.

Launching the vessel in the morning, should be windy and cold still...but at least the water level is up!

Good luck to everyone - let's get rid of this cold.

Chris

Yup, I ended up putting a trouble light with a 75 W Incandescent bulb under the motor box.  That will generate enough heat in that enclosed space to keep the block from freezing down to the mid 20's air temp.  I think we got down to 28 last night.

Tim