Goby bay rats?

Ok. Something is strange just happened. I just spoke to one of my teammates who fished a half morning today. He boated almost 30 trout and without a Bay Rat stick! Idk how it happened, but I guess if he had a few he might have caught 60 or 70. We're definitely behind the curve I suppose.

I bought a few dozen this year and gave em a go and they caught every fish despite only 3 of them out in an 8 rod spread. Hmmm... I'm a believer.

Edited by FleetTracker

Here's the thing. If you try to help out here, and try to share advise and experience, you get nowhere. I understand people get excited about a new color spoon, or stick and it takes on a life of its own. I've done it. The rat stick is as good as any others at attracting bites, I'm sure of it under the right conditions. But if you read the post above mine where "Finsntins"suggests that the rat stick outfished anything else he had in the water, We'll that's great but in his fishing report on another page, he reports 4 trout caught in 5 hours! Now if you didn't know that you would think the rat goby had them jumping in the boat! Not the case. And no knock on him, it's fishing. everyone gets smacked around once in a while. But don't exaggerate to prove a point. Again it's a good lure I'm sure, but it's not magic. I know guys that destroyed trout today very close to where he was, and no goby sticks anywhere. Me personally for what its worth, I fish stick baits maybe the first three weeks im in the water then not another will see the water. And never more that 2 at a time.

My rant is over. :)

A couple weeks ago we had the goby bay rat out and it accounted for most of the fish that day.  Today it didn't even take a hit.  Like many other sticks, it has it's days.  I have a few stinkers in my boxes that have never earned their $8-$15 tag. 

not sure how i exaggerated,all i did was state the facts of my day,which i always do,whether its good or bad,just trying to help out my fellow fisherman and give back.i guess i shouldnt try to do that any more.

not sure how i exaggerated,all i did was state the facts of my day,which i always do,whether its good or bad,just trying to help out my fellow fisherman and give back.i guess i shouldnt try to do that any more.

I probably used the wrong word, exaggerated was wrong, but in the context of the ongoing thread it appeared to me that your day was dominated by the goby rat. I thought that, obviously I was wrong. But to say that stick did it for you, we'll ok, but do you think maybe if you ran something other than that stick maybe you would have crushed them? I do, because to fish in green 48 degree water in Mexico bay in April is ground zero for browns. Like I said there were guys not far from you who did almost 30, without a stick bait in the water, spoons only. My overall point is don't get hung up on one thing based on hype. If the color of the water changes, the temp, the sunlight, the chop. It's all reason to adjust. If anyone is not interested in a different opinion, that's fine with me.

I have to agree with you On the Lam- only because these custom color Bay Rats I had made up were strictly based on color due to Storm discontinuing it. Now my Thundersticks still out produce them but when the conditions are proper this particular color is the bomb and can't keep a rod in the water. Other days like I had 2 weeks ago we couldn't shake a rod no mater what color we had out. It all depends on the conditions guys

I think you guys are reading more into Jason's post than what he reported. I'm sure he ran other baits but the goby rat worked for him that day. I didn't take it that we all need to run out and stock up on bay rats.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

With the plethora of Rapala's, Smiths, AC Shiners, Renofsky's, Thundersticks, and Yo-Zuri's, along with a box-o-Thin Fins, I find no need to spend more, cause if those don't do it, I'M, doing something waaaaaaaaaay wrong.

BTW, we boxed out easily on Sunday on our splashdown, and never had a Rat lure on the boat.

Go figure.

Like Dave said(and I've said it also) once that lure is purchased, it has done about 3/4's of it's job.

Not trying to be a kill-joy, and do not think Pete is either, just trying to be realistic.

Edited by Fish Hunter

You won't see this from a Bay Rat Pete.

Pic courtesy of the Yank.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1430004888.444014.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Those were 3 BRAND NEW Rapalas that had about 8 fish between all of them and now they are junk! Certain Smithwicks have similar issues with fish pulling the hook anchors out. My Storm Thunderstick Jr's are still solid baits. 

I've seen where the rats are made, and the one thing I noticed when I walked into the shop was a white board that had a saying on there referencing quality above all else.

These aren't "secret weapons" or something that will put more fish in the boat for EVERYONE. However, they are hitting a niche in the market, and painting up some of our favorite colors we cant get anymore unless we pay a ridiculous amount on EBAY and various forums. Let's be honest.....look at Storm Thunderstick Jr's......he color selection has gotten terrible.

Edited by Yankee Troller

I used this forum over the years to learn and advance my trolling knowledge, and it worked. This week I learned that Rat bay sticks are of high quality and will out perform other sticks in terms of durability. Paul and Rick confirmed that, I trust their experience and knowledge. What I also know is they are not magic and won't guarantee fishing success, but can help achieve the overall goal.

Ya know truthfully I'm not a big stick guy, I use them when necessary, but not as a rule. I probably haven't purchased a stick bait for five or more years, I have boxes of everything I need. I used to spontaneously buy everything everyone said was hot!!! Lol