New Boat..... Old Gas... What to do?

jimalbert

Well I bought this Starcraft Fishmaster 1961 and I love the boat.  However the tank is full of gas that is probably 2 years old... What are your suggestions?  Empty some out and fill her up with High Octane?  Are there any additives that will help if I leave it all in there??? Run it and see how she runs?  Worst that will happen is she will run like ****.  By the way its a Mercruiser 3.0:L.  My father in law is a marine mechanic and he thinks we can get away trying to see how it runs.  I dont know for sure but im sure alot of you will have more suggestions.  Please Help!

THanks,

Jim

I think I'd get some marine Stabil and put some of that in there and then try it out.  Hopefully it is non ethanol gas in there and with a full tank (if actually full) there may not have been a lot of room for water condensation. I'd use up some of the existing gas if it runs acceptably on it and then put in additional non ethanol to refill it. If it runs crappy I'd drain out some of it and add in fresh gas rather than emptying the whole thing....you didn't say how big the tank is.

Edited by Sk8man

I think the tank is 38 gallons.. Im looking for the original specs on the boat now.  I believe it was ethanol gas as we really cant buy anything around here that doesnt contain ethanol.  I even thought about siphoning some into a clear container to see if there was any water on top. Oh, it was full, way full.  The other day when it was really warm I had the bow up in the air pretty hard while on the trailer and the buildup in the tank actually started forcing gas out the fill line.  and there was some serious pressure there too.  I dont know if there are any water removers that can be used with ethanol or i would try that.

Some guys at my marina bought a boat last year that had been in storage and ruined the motor. Old gas and lack of lubrication. It was a v-6 I/O. I would put some oil in each spark plug hole and roll it over by hand a few times if it hasn't been started for awhile. Draw off some gas in a clear container and check it, or run it in your mower. Also, change the filter or install one if not equipped.

I believe the water would be on the bottom. Either way, I'd add Stabil and run it. I'm no expert in the field but 2 year old gas should still be good, I'd say. I had 2 year old gas in my generator and it fired right up and ran strong

I was told by a mechanic and very knowledgable man that if you add fresh has to bad gas you just end up with a tank of bad gas. A buddy of mine found that out 2 years ago when he tried a piston on a year old motor. Ethanol fuel is junk and breaks down (separates) in 3 weeks and can't make it good anymore. Your best bet would be to drain it and mix in a vehicle or have one hell of a bonfire don't risk damaging your motor. Or just give Rick at power marine in canandaigua a call and he can explain and show you what it can do. Good Luck

I had 70 sum gallons of old old varnish I mean gas in my tank when we got our boat, and it wouldn't run I pulled the sending unit and used pump to get it all out. my buddy mixed it w/ used oil and burned in his oil furnace

I think you should check the gas first.. :wait: ...before you fire that engine. It's easy enough to do, why take a chance at doing a carb or injector rebuild?  Drain out about a 1/2 gallon or so in a clear container and let it settle out. See what settles to the bottom. Water and any jell from the ethanol should be on the bottom. If so siphon out more till you get all that stuff out. Be sure your siphon hose is all the way on the bottom of the tank.

I made up a siphon hose a couple years ago for just that purpose. Went to Lowes and bought a latex hose and a brass fitting (to give the end of the hose some weight) . The latex hose is plenty flexible enough to get into the tank and you'll hear the brass fitting bouncing on the bottom of the tank to be sure your pulling gas at the bottom. It's so easy with this setup I do it every spring when I pull my boat out of storage just to know for sure what is in the tank.

tubing:  http://www.lowes.com/pd_443104-104-SLGE10_0__?productId=4566542&Ntt=latex+tubing&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlatex%2Btubing&facetInfo=

brass fitting: http://www.lowes.com/pd_314689-61002-APXC121210PK_0__?productId=3697974&Ntt=brass+fittings&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dbrass%2Bfittings&facetInfo=

Just get the same size tubing & fitting. Good luck.

I think Stinger has a much better answer than mine especially with the ethanol gas.....it make sense.

Edited by Sk8man

I drained dry  30 gal or so from my I/O that sat for 5 years.Tuned it up & changed the oil. Spayed fogging oil in cylinders . I then put 5 gals of new gas w/ a LOT of red stbil in it & ran the boat in my driveway on the muffs for a few hours. Ran great after that.

Put the old gas in my van & shortly after had to replace the  fuel pump.

I too have a 40 gallon onboard tank, and the 2nd year I owned it, even though  I stabilized it, topped it off with new gas, and  even put stabilizer in every time I put gas in the year before it ended up costing me $1200.00  to rebuild the carbs and get the tank cleaned out the first time I took it out.  So now at the end of the season  before I put mine away I drain the gas out of it, put a new filter in, and it sits empty until spring when I refill it with non-ethanol.  I rigged an old 12 volt Hot Rod electric fuel pump, bought the motor end of the fuel line tap,  plug them together, and pump the old fuel into my pickup. The last thing I want to do is worry about rotten gas in my tank.

I too have a 40 gallon onboard tank, and the 2nd year I owned it, even though  I stabilized it, topped it off with new gas, and  even put stabilizer in every time I put gas in the year before it ended up costing me $1200.00  to rebuild the carbs and get the tank cleaned out the first time I took it out.  So now at the end of the season  before I put mine away I drain the gas out of it, put a new filter in, and it sits empty until spring when I refill it with non-ethanol.  I rigged an old 12 volt Hot Rod electric fuel pump, bought the motor end of the fuel line tap,  plug them together, and pump the old fuel into my pickup. The last thing I want to do is worry about rotten gas in my tank.

X2 I do the same thing works great.

Edited by bigblue

I have always run my tank dry and I have a 168 gallon tank on my boat. Also at the same time I use Sta-bil and run nothing but non ethanol fuel. Both my motors are direct injected outboards so I know exactly when bad fuel is in the tank and after seeing what happens to ethanol fuel in 3 weeks I will never use it again. My truck is diesel and my gas cans get non ethanol fuel in them and so does my wife's vehicle. I have seen picture of a poly fuel tank actually melt from ethanol fuel and fill a boats hull with the fuel. It's an opinion thing but seasonal items all get the fuel drained and fogged.

I totally agree with darkwater, pump the old gas out fill with new fuel add a can of Sea Foam fog the cylinders let her set overnight and Fire her up the next day. Then take on step at a time until you feel it's ready for a shake down test, I'd bring a buddy along who owns a boat also JUST in case, I personally think you'll be just fine but better to be safe then sorry. Good luck with your new ride!!!

Drain it unless your hood at rebuilding carbs. Imo I would drain the tank, line, and carb. Then stArt fresh. I drained 25 gAllons of bad gas last year thAt was bad within a week of purchase, the gas delaminated my fuel lines, clogged the carbs, and nearly left me stranded. Ethanol free is now the only way for me. Don't be me and learn your lessons the hard way everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United