Wire Diver Set-Up

Worth having one? Probably a stupid question. I'm pretty green to lake o. Fish the shoreline in spring and then usually late July/August once the freezer fills up with eyes. Usually fish solo in my small boat but sometimes have a partner. Try to keep it simple. Just hesitating on making the investment. How does wire fare against the fleas compared to powerpro?

Hardest part about the wire diver set up is getting your drag correct- I started with wire last year and it took me a bit to get it right- I used a rubber band later in the year hooked to the wire and the handle and loosed up my drags and my hookups were perfect- I donated many lures to the fish gods learning-

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i used pp and wire on  lake o. with good results for fleas ,but i had twillies and they would cut right off ....But the seneca fleas were a little more problem with pp but doable..dypsys are a great way to put meat on the deck,but i would prefer a rigger bite as i can(could i sold boat) run light tackle and enjoy the fight .after 20 plus years trolling i would say the 3 "S's" are the most important for a good catching...Speed ,Speed, Speed...many here could spend hours telling ya what time of day,temp of water, time of year,water color,depth of lure,sunny day ,cloudy day,species,  effects the color of lure will work best. BUT a great lure for the right condition will produce very little if it is ran to fast or slow...

I use to fish the Oak are all the time spring LOC & do OK on kings. Then the Zebras showed up. Looked at the leader board and saw where all the fish were caught.

Went to the bar & did execptionally well . Look at the Fall loc & see where those fish are caught.

Not going to catch many browns this time of year in 50' of water. You increase your chances of success by

being where the fish are, AT THE RIGHT TIME . Then use what you are confident w/ & you will do well.

It took me a long time to realize this. When I did, I buy & use way less stuff & catch way more fish.

Edited by Has Been

You should use them on erie as well if you fish any of the ports in the central to eastern basin. Wire divers work very well when the fish get below 50ft. Wire on the inside braid on the outside diver.

Hardest part about the wire diver set up is getting your drag correct- I started with wire last year and it took me a bit to get it right- I used a rubber band later in the year hooked to the wire and the handle and loosed up my drags and my hookups were perfect- I donated many lures to the fish gods learning-

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The easiest way to know how much drag is to let your presentation creep out in a rod holder. Then tighten the drag just enough so it stops. Use 30+ lbs for your leader. Make sure you cut out any pig tails in the wire...and re-terminate. I still use rubber bands on some days. Mainly in late August or later when the salmon are staging.