Stolen 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke from Boat Doctors in Olcott 4/24/15

Chad,

I'd check with Wes if you haven't already.  Not sure of his hours right now but there's usually someone outside smoking when I drive by, worth a call anyhow.  Almost had to be a local.  I don't know too many guys that would have a saw zaw along on a fishing trip. 

Been watching craigs for another kicker, I'll let you know if anything new pops up in the Pittsburgh area.

Good luck, hope you find the moron that took it.

Jeff

Sorry to hear that Chad.That really sucks,hopefully they will catch the creeps,or better yet you catch them.You could perform a few extractions without novacain.

The same thing happened to me a few years back,and at the same place.They had only one bolt to go ,and they would have had my T8 Yamaha kicker.I think they were scared off when Jim was just leaving the house to open the shop.

Ive since changed to a new way to secure the motor.I hope I never have to take it off for repair.

The truth is that if these lowlife scumbags want it,they will get it.What they need is a bullet right in the middle of their foreheads.,they'll never steal again.

Lets face it these turds aren't going to turn their lives around,or become good citizens.AS long as they are able to live,they will be criminals and oxyogen thieves laying the burden on law abiding folks to take care of them.The sooner they're off the planet the better.

Gill-T  W feel for ya man...I think these posts underscore that .....luckily these scum are the minority but when it happens to you it sure feels as though the "violation" is a huge problem. We all wish you the best of luck in recovering your motor.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  I know the person who took the motor will get his in this life or the next.......karma is a beotch.  When I got down to the boat I could have gone out and trolled with the I/O and trolling bags but I just didn't feel like fishing anymore so I drove home.  I think I have a replacement swim platform located and insurance will be contacted about the motor.  

Edited by Gill-T

Some years back at Seneca Lake State Park someone stole a kicker by using some type of a powered saw to cut the whole transom section out where the motor was hung ruining the boat as well. Unreal the lengths these scum go to....

Wow I can't believe that.I mean cut the transom section out?? That's rediculous...now that was a power tool job.

Yes but I won't post any identifiable features here on this forum it might be a LOU member who stole it.  Long shaft bought in 2005 so may have a manufacture date of 2004?  I will see if I can dig up a picture.

If it was a member they would know to take a Yamaha or Honda unless they needed an anchor :) .Sorry to hear of your loss hope your insurance takes care of you.Good luck

Crackheads and heroin addicts are a major part of this problem. The public needs to report them and the police must put more effort into cleaning them off our streets. Way too much effort is put into speeding tickets and generating local revenues when the major crimes like this are merely reports and insurance claims for those who have insurance.

I am planning a trip up to Watertown and my boat is open format.  I was wondering about security too.  My Dad had devised a way to scare the hell out of some one and it was a simple battery operated alarm with a simple tab pull (cheap) to make it it go off and it was loud.  We all know how to use fishing line - this is going to be my attempt at keeping the boat items safe.  I also put a obscure stamp on the items that are of value, so I know when I see it that it was mine.  Like others have said - you would like to catch the vermon just as much as keeping them away.

For the docks, I always though you could implement trail cameras to know who has been by your dock and how respectful your neighbors are.

I was a native of Greece, NY. When I started my charter business at Oak Orchard in the early/mid 80's, I couldn't believe how everyone just left their rods and tackle out. I asked the late Butch Tiberio about this and he explained that in those parts at that time- "if you touched another mans tools you would find yourself in the bottom of the creek with the sheriff looking the other way."  I've always felt that for the most part fishermen and hunters were much better than average and wouldnt steal from each other even if easy targets were available. Yes drug addiction is most of it, makes me want to abandon some of my conservative positions and just make them all available and legal--we certainly are not winning the war on drugs--just paying for the hamster wheel which is enforcement and incarceration. Still, there are others that are just addicted to stealing and cant let a perceived opportunity go unexploited. When I heard about this it made me sick to my stomach. 

The only way to prevent this,is by not leaving anything of value. It is not that the world around us has changed, we just were lulled into thinking it has.

Every time I go fishing out of the east end it blows my mind to see all the electronic gear left on the boats.Heck I take my removable electronic gear off the boat even when it is parked next to my house.

Edited by rolmops

You ever pick up a 4 stroke rolmops?  Not practical to take it on and off every time.  Lock it up the best you can.....if they really want it they will get it.

You ever pick up a 4 stroke rolmops?  Not practical to take it on and off every time.  Lock it up the best you can.....if they really want it they will get it.

My apologies for seeming callous, but the sad fact is that what happened to you ,repeats itself over and over again every summer and unless we protect our boats one way or another we will get robbed sooner or later. The only alternative is removing everything that we can remove. For the police this is just another petty theft and they will not make too much of an effort to get your engine back.

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies for seeming callous, but the sad fact is that what happened to you ,repeats itself over and over again every summer and unless we protect our boats one way or another we will get robbed sooner or later. The only alternative is removing everything that we can remove. For the police this is just another petty theft and they will not make too much of an effort to get your engine back.

rolmops you must know a lot about the running of a criminal investigation like caseload, interviews, collection of evidence, building a case that the DA will bring to a Grand Jury. I can tell you that there is people on this site that are in law enforcement that pay attention to post about stolen property. Property that was not even taken in there jurisdiction. These people not only read the post but take time to look in the launches and slips that they use. So "for the police its is just another petty theft and they will not make much effort to get your engine back." That is not true, its a felony due to the cost of a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke. TTT with this in the hopes this dirt bag is caught. We will keep looking this way. Good luck Gill-T!!

rolmops you must know a lot about the running of a criminal investigation like caseload, interviews, collection of evidence, building a case that the DA will bring to a Grand Jury. I can tell you that there is people on this site that are in law enforcement that pay attention to post about stolen property. Property that was not even taken in there jurisdiction. These people not only read the post but take time to look in the launches and slips that they use. So "for the police its is just another petty theft and they will not make much effort to get your engine back." That is not true, its a felony due to the cost of a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke. TTT with this in the hopes this dirt bag is caught. We will keep looking this way. Good luck Gill-T!!

I do not believe that this thread is the right place to discuss my faith in the police. But I do watch the news and so should you.