Lake Erie Perch 2015

fitz67

Went out of Sturgeon Point today for a few hours. Brought back 8 perch that were from 11 to 13 inches. Drifting minnows. Best depth was 50'. Surface water temp is 38 degrees. We're getting there. Last week there was still ice in this area.

One boat boxed out with a two man limit twice this week at Sturgeon Point. 53 foot of water and the nearby boats were all catching perch. Two hours each day and wear gloves as the air and water is cold. The largest perch weighed 2.09 pounds. Life jacket wearing is the law now and ECO's are checking your operations.

One boat at Sturgeon marina had 95 perch and two Walleyes this afternoon. 57 foot of water. Most boats were out of sight from shore so the action must be deeper now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were out amongst the fleet of 40-50 boats out of Sturgeon yesterday. Approx 53 FOW. The perch bite was light and we had to work for them. Some did well, some did not. We struggled to put a dozen in the cooler but there were some 14" slobs. The highlight of the morning was the 7#  bonus eye my wife jigged up on a perch setup. Gotta love Erie!

We did well yesterday with a lot over 12". I noticed that about 2/3 of them were spawned out. Very light bite even for Erie perch. A dead stick approach or a very slow drag and stop along the bottom worked best. If you are not using some sort of braid for your main line, you probably are missing most of your fish.

I did ok yesterday as well, took a bit to get the hang out it. Agree with pequod bite was very light. Watched guys around me catching fish, finally just held the rod with the line tight and started seeing the hits otherwise I was missing them.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Went out again on Sunday, started out fast then slowed down. Not as many big fish started getting smaller fish, caught a bunch of gobies one spot, killed all that we caught and fed the birds. Very light bite a few times you would just pull up on the rod and there would be a fish.  Not as many boats out less than 20 through out the day. Ended with 28 but threw back a few big females full of eggs and some of the smaller fish. My buddy and I were both happy with the fish caught and I was happy with the number while filleting them.

We went out Sunday and did very good in 52 ft of water straight out of the Cat.The perch were biting very slow just sucking in the minnow, so very slow lift off bottom to feel them to set the hook.Half were chunky and the other half were on the smaller size we let go.Was non stop action until about noon then it slowed down.

Edited by mostlymuskies

I was out last night and like battle hammer said.it is tight..bite was better at 2;00 when most boats left...

Hit some during the day today. All harnesses though. Couldn't move a stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Went straight out of the Cat to 53 ft of water today and clients caught 100 Perch in short time!The Rig, Tru Turn Blood Red Snelled Hooks size 6 with Enerald Green Bead strung on center of snell, both off three ways swivels only 6" apart, snap with 1 1/2 ounce pencil sinker at bottom.Lower to bottom of Lake and as soon as you feel sinker hit bottom slow lift dragging sinker, bottom kick up attracts the Perch, get one just about everytime!

post-144733-0-40619400-1432241986_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies