Yankee in the ROC 4/25-4/26 - HOLY KING SALMON

April 25th – Another weekend with clients from Maine. They came for some April Brown Trout action, but the brutal winds all week really put a lot of mud on the shoreline. After a half hour of trolling through mud Captain Craig pointed the boat out to deeper water where we found the green water outside of the mud in 25-40’ of water between ship builders and Webster park. The minute we hit that green water we doubled on Chinook “King†Salmon! We swung back around and doubled again! The rest of the day we dialed in a Salmon program in that mid water section that would grab us over 20 King bites! On top of that we hooked into and played with 20+ Lake Trout and Brown Trout. One of our BEST Spring days off Rochester!

Once we dialed in our Salmon program it was very similar to one we use in skinny water during the Spring Scotty events in St. Catherine. On our Cannon Downriggers we ran spoons back 40-50’. Glow Mixed Veggies seemed to be our best spoon hands down! We ran our center rigger the deepest back 40’, and the corner riggers 5’ above it back 50’. Our wire divers were out 40-50’ on 3 settings. Glow mixed veggies and a Yellow Tail like custom spoon were going consistently on those. Over top of the wires we ran 2 slide divers 25’ lead and 60-80’ back on a 4 setting. Similar spoons on those. Off our Otter boats we ran deep and medium diving Reef Runners. Glow/Green and Barbie being the best color combos on those back 125’.

For hours it was all we could do to keep rods in the water! What an amazing day and boy did they get spoiled on KINGS!

IMG_20150425_080348260_zps2wd3d8rr.jpg

IMG_20150425_080948345_zps1nbwjmsc.jpg

IMG_20150425_083347877_zpsdaav8wis.jpg

IMG_20150425_090838137_zpskh2lffgi.jpg

IMG_20150425_100408818_zpslryzlb5a.jpg

IMG_20150425_110436415_HDR_zpsgq9p6hqa.j

IMG_20150425_111827051_zpsdx32be1m.jpg

IMG_20150425_114855858_zpsuoh6fy3o.jpg

IMG_20150425_122037474_zpsvynwgiqn.jpg

April 26th – Well, the Maine peeps came for Brown Trout and that’s what they wanted to target, so we ignored the Salmon, and targeted the Browns for the day. It was a stellar day from Ship Builders to Hedges in 10’ of water. Firetiger sticks did work! Many fish, but the biggest we landed was 6lbs. 100’ back off the boards for the sticks, and 50’ back on our Cannon Downriggers with bright spoons.

IMG_20150426_100042807_HDR_zpswmni1vy4.j

Awsome Rick, those were some brute kings I may add, I know you are a well established charter captain, but with a day like that you will be a well known man in Maine!!! That kind of word spreads like wild fire, it's been 10 years, yea maybe more but I can tell you, I could tell you the name of the charter we took on Erie when we had a banner trip, and still talk about it!!! Rick you are the King!!! LOL thanks for the info also.

Rick, were you marking those fish? Or did you just happen to catch a few and dial in the program from there? Sounds like it was mostly a down bite right? I had that same green water off of sodus with a pretty abrupt temp change in about 60 fow, but wasn't marking crap and only took a laker off it, so I didn't spend a ton of time there...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rick, were you marking those fish? Or did you just happen to catch a few and dial in the program from there? Sounds like it was mostly a down bite right? I had that same green water off of sodus with a pretty abrupt temp change in about 60 fow, but wasn't marking crap and only took a laker off it, so I didn't spend a ton of time there...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When we stumbled upon them we weren't looking for them, but as the day went on and we dialed them in we saw them on the fish finder. Some suspended fish, but a lot laying on the bottom. Picture perfect to what we see and how we fish on Canada for the Spring tourney. Kings mixed in with Lakers. We had that stretch to ourselves with 3 other boats on Saturday that we called in on it. It was nice! Sunday there had to be 30 boats working that water. 

This is why we fish tourneys! You learn so much fishing different areas of the lake. It really makes you a better fisherman! We've only ever had 1 good event in April up in Canada, but we learn so much fishing skinny water Kings and it paid off this weekend.

I am picturing it now...."ya these kings are ok but what we really want to catch are cookie-cutter browns"....too funny...and weird!

Pretty much! I told them I didn't want to Brown Trout fish Saturday afternoon when they told me that. 

Superb report Captain. What I am most impressed with is your ability to catch beautiful kings one morning, yet dial in a brown trout program the very next day and fish the shallow water upon request of your clients.

That's what separates the men from the boys.

Also, your reports are always filled with great narrative, fishing tips, and never have a "cocky" attitude unlike a fellow amateur I-Bay angler that always seems to hi-jack other's posts with his own success........

Tight lines!

Chris

I can't imagine asking to chase browns after playing with kings, but to each their own.  Maybe they prefer to eat browns?  Trips like yours make me very hopeful for yet another good year on Lake O.  Thanks for the detailed report.

Rick, Just want to take my hat off to you for your GREAT fishing reports. For those of us that can only get out a couple times a week it really gives us alot of optimism about our next time on the water. Your sharing of info is the way all of us should be in this great sport we all love. Fact is the # of fishing and hunting licences is on the decline nationwide. Doesn't it make sense that those of us that are having lots of success should help those that are struggling? The taxpayer $ that support our outdoor sports will not be there unless politicians feel lots of people/votes are enjoying these outdoor sports. Especially Great Lakes Fishing. Your doing a great service to us all . Thanks and please keep up the good work. Wish you lots of success in your business!!