Canandaigua 4-29-15

John and I went out after browns and rainbows and washed a bunch of hardware without much happening....kinda disappointing  after the recent brown report but realistically didn't have high expectations of repeating that one :)  We started with 6 rods 2 downriggers with spinneys/fly setups and 2 wire rigs one with spinney/fly the other with E chip flasher/fly, and 2 braids on boards out 100 and 150 (before the boards).....nothing touched them. Switched out the boards to leadcores. 6color and 10 color with spoons- one hit on 10 color didn't stay.  Dropped downrigger with spinney when saw bait in 100 ft down 75 and wham 7 lb laker (released unharmed). 2 more hits on same setup and then nothing for rest of trip (fished 7 Am - 2 PM). We saw plenty of large sporadic bait pods on both the east and west sides all bottom oriented and a few sparse fish up relatively high from 40-60 ft nowhere near the bait but they weren't interested. Changed out equipment and colors etc. repeatedly and ran stuff where we were marking but to no avail. I'm giving these details because a lot folks may think it is a piece of cake fishing out here after the pics of the big browns were posted  a few days back and that the place must be loaded with fish but that is not really the case.  It turned into a beautiful sunny day despite the weather report mentioning cloudy skies etc. and it was close to dead calm  from some of it rather than 7 or 8 mph wind. Just good to be out there.

post-145411-0-60103400-1430340295_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-64789700-1430340309_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-18953600-1430340326_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Les, that lake is the hardest to fish for me...the fish are there one day and gone the next. My day was a once in a lifetime day but the browns are always down there this time of year. The bait on Saturday was down by white rock and in 150 fow but no fish around the bait. We moved north out of the bait and finally found active fish. Very tough lake to fish.

Brett you sure did have a once in  a Finger Lakes lifetime day of it with some of the nicest specimens I've seen in some time and I tried to duplicate as much as I could figure out of your setup and routine today and your result was well earned and no "accident" :) you had those fish successfully "dialed in". Three browns of that size in one outing on this lake is a rare feat and speaks to your skill level.  You are also correct about the here today and gone tomorrow and sometimes it is even here this pass by or this hour and gone next time through :lol:  indeed often making it a difficult lake to fish.

John, I wish I had been there too.....a great bunch of  fishermen in that group and I have a lot of respect for you folks. 

Ted - hope to connect with you soon.

Sorry to hear the struggle Les, that lake is indeed an up and down lake from one day to the next. He's something strange bobby told me yesterday, while going out on a dock to do some work he noticed 2 nice Browns 4-5 lbs hovering in the shade. When they saw him the darted out away from the dock but quickly shot back when they hit the sun. Almost like vampires. Back to the dock they went. With him standing there. Water was crystal clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Same here Ed....it will be sooner rather than later :)

Mike it makes sense to me about Bobby's experience with the browns......the only ones I've caught in bright sunlight have always been down deep....but in the early hours they are often shallow and around docks scrounging....pretty adaptive fish.  I'm getting in Walleye mode right now though :lol:  I was at the Chamber launch this afternoon and it was crystal clear there and although the area out to the end of the launch ramp dock is nice and deep the sand has filled in out at the end for a hundred yards or so and it looked only a couple feet deep at most so I'd keep my prop/lower unit tilted if going out there.....sure don't need silt and sand in  the intake....