best knot to tie from main line to swivel

Improved Cinch has never failed me.  With large rings like on a dipsy swivel or when using braid, wrap the line twice thru before tying the Improved cinch.

Here is an animated video on how to tie the Palomar knot.  I have learned from others on here that instead of doubling your line and pinching it to initially put it through the eye of your swivel, it is best to put the end of your line through the eye of the swivel, pull 6-8" of line through, and then put the end of your line back through the eye of the swivel.  If you double your line and pinch it together to go through the eye of the swivel it causes a weak spot in the line.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/palomar-knot/

Ok so for those that use palomar is there a way to do it without having to put your bait back thru the loop? My stick baits are a real pain. The loop is constantly getting caught on the trebles.  If there isn't then I will start using larger loops, the part I don't like about the larger loops is it allows more heat to be created pulling that much more line thru the knot.

Use a single uni knot double the line threw the ring and then tie single uni knot. Never had one fail.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We took the leaders off after breaking 2. Same story as you. Improved clinch knot was the weak point. Water was dirty so they were useless anyways. So we ran 20 lbs mainline right to the swivel with a palomar. But then a king broke the sampo swivel in half. Lol

Ok so for those that use palomar is there a way to do it without having to put your bait back thru the loop? My stick baits are a real pain. The loop is constantly getting caught on the trebles. If there isn't then I will start using larger loops, the part I don't like about the larger loops is it allows more heat to be created pulling that much more line thru the knot.

Use a small swivel instead of tying direct

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you're talking about fluoro to snap swivel, just use the standard clinch knot, don't improve it (i.e. pass the tag back through the loop)  this works much better on fluorocarbon and I've never had one fail.  Make sure you wet the line/knot before tightening.