best knot to tie from main line to swivel

Tim is exactly right I've used it for years without failure. The "improved: clinch seems to bind up and cut through the wound line....the standard clinch is a great knot.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the palomar knot for more than 50 years all over the world with no problems at all. I recommend you wet the line with water prior to tying the knot. The knot will pull down easier and result in a stronger knot. When running stick baits, use a good quality cross lock snap ( roscoes are good) to match the line weight you are using. The stick baits swim better than when they are direct tied .

Another standard clinch knot guy here. Pretty much use it on everything. Dipsy leaders. My flouro mainline to snap swivels. On jet divers. When making peanut flys. Etc.

• 9 months later...

The palomar knot is my favorite knot also.  The question I have is how do you tie a leader onto a barrel swivel at the end of your main line using it?  You obviously wouldn't make a loop large enough to put over your whole fishing pole. I've always used the improved cinch knot there and then the palomar knot to tie the snap to the end of the leader. But I want to start using floro leaders and I understand the palomar knot is the best for floro.  Any suggestions?

The palomar knot is my favorite knot also.  The question I have is how do you tie a leader onto a barrel swivel at the end of your main line using it?  You obviously wouldn't make a loop large enough to put over your whole fishing pole. I've always used the improved cinch knot there and then the palomar knot to tie the snap to the end of the leader. But I want to start using floro leaders and I understand the palomar knot is the best for floro.  Any suggestions?

rather then putting the rod and reel end through the loop just put the leader that you are tying on through the loop

Once you tie the palomar pull on it. I mean really pull on it and see if it fails. Everytime I tied a palomar wrong or it wasn't wet enough I pulled on it and seemed fine as soon as I wrapped the hook around something stationary and gave a little harder tug she broke. It is frustrating tying a knot 2 or 3 times and it breaking but would rather it breaks on land and not that fish of a lifetime. The palomar and improved clinch have been tested and they both hold over 90% of the rated pound test it is tied on.

I find the palomar much easier to tie with gloves on or stiff senseless fingers.

Here is a link to a guy doing real world test. If you google palomar knot test you will see a bunch of different results that all say pretty much the same thing. I am sharing this at the data point if you want to watch the entire thing feel free but here are the meat and potatoes.

https://youtu.be/PFMcEFwwZxQ?t=1m52s

I will also mention the san diego jam knot is supposed to hold more than the palomar. It is tied similar to the improved clinch but the wraps around around the outside of the loop.

Edited by Chas0218

• 1 month later...