Best amp charger for deep cycle battery

I just bought a 10amp charger for my deep cycle battery. Was wondering if I should have went with the 6amp charger instead. Will the 6 give me significantly more life to the battery by charging at a lower rate or am I splitting hairs? I went with the 10amp so I could charge it over night and not worry about it not being filling charged in the morning. The battery I will be using most on the charger is 100amp hours. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had the same question, laid out BIG $ for (4) Interstate Pro series, here is what their tech, NOT the salesman selling me the batteries, but the actual get on the phone and ask the pros, he told me, "charging" is a misnomer, you're not charging anything, you are "mixing" the electrolyte solution, so 6 amp or 10 amp or more doesn't matter, lot of backyard myths going around that slow and lo is the way to go. The KEY is the battery once it's done "charging", warm to the touch, bubbles sighted through the case, they MUST be allowed to cool down BEFORE they are used. I'm on my 4TH year with these batteries, and I'm actually using them to troll with @ 2.5+ MPH GPS 10+ hours each outing with my Minn Kota Terrova w/ auto pilot, I know Interstate has a toll free number if you have questions, and I'm sure the other reputable companies do too

Marty 

Deep cycle batteries need a different charger than standard batteries. The difference is in the final voltage. Also your charging system should shut down and go into a "maintenance mode" when the battery is fully charged. It gives a tiny pulse charge every few seconds to maintain peak condition but does not overcharge and boil the fluid out of your cells.

Deep cycle batteries need a different charger than standard batteries. The difference is in the final voltage. Also your charging system should shut down and go into a "maintenance mode" when the battery is fully charged. It gives a tiny pulse charge every few seconds to maintain peak condition but does not overcharge and boil the fluid out of your cells.

Yes! I have a Schumacher 2, 10, 50 amp charger that does exactly that. It will pulse a completely flat battery back to life and pulse a maintenance trickle on 100% voltage capacity of the batteries. Works very nice set on 10 amp. Guage and green or red lights tell you what it is doing. Got it at Auto Zone. About 55 bucks I think.

Mark

I've used the one Mark mentioned and it is great and well worth the money and on mine you can select either the standard starting battery or deep cycle ....does a great job.

Edited by Sk8man