Fuel tank.

lily

Took possession of a older flare center console boat. Boat has 50 gallon empty fuel tank that has not had fuel in it sience 2007. That was last time boat was in the water. Boat has out board 140 hp johnson that I 're built last year. Question is do you guys think that the below hull gas tank would be all right to use. I have been useing 6 gallon cans and it is a pain in the butt and takes up a lot of floor space. Thanks for any advice given. Boat is a 1979.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would somehow want to find a way to make sure it is clean inside and a way to test it for leaks and overall integrity of the tank and entire fuel system. You might have to check and/or replace the fuel lines including vent tubes and fill tube. Also vent tubes should have valves in line to prevent overflow from vent tubes when filling tank.

Fuel lines I'm not worried about replacing had planned to do that. Woried more about fuel sediments and such. Can't get to the tank without major over haul to the deck. The fuel tank is also foamed in. No fuel smell in the coffin. I had planet on replacing fuel line to the mother. Any thoughts on cleaning the integrity isues.

Wow planned on replacing fuel lines to the motor

Think the best thing you could do is put some liquid into the tank until it is full and then pump it all back out again. Check for leaks etc at this time.  The center console tanks are usually a huge pain to get at, the console I imagine has to come off which usually means all electrical has to be disconnected.

The hoses to fill the tank are probably junk and need replacing.   Use coastguard aproved hose.  You coulld use air to pressure test the tank.  maybe 3 to4 psi and see if it holds . Use a bicycle pump to put the air in..  Don't use more than that or you could hurt the tank. 

How would I get the air in to it. I can get to the line that goes to the motor. Don't know about the fill line.

Plug openings,, vent , outlen,  and make an adaptor of some sorts for the fill.,   The fill lines on my Islander that had sat for 10 years were very bad .  The fuel was seaping through the rubber.  We had to replace the floorboards anyway, so they were easy to get to and the fill on the gunnel.

Send a bore science down the filler neck. Look around a see what you see. If pretty clean out 10 gallons in it and pump some of it it out with the primer bulb into a clear container. If it looks good, no leaks etc. rock on. Would be worth while to add a online filter separator as well. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If it is an aluminum tank,pour a gallon or 2 of lacker thinner into the tank and take it for a ride on a bumpy road for say half an hour. then,add a few gallons of fuel repeat the ride and drain the tank. that should have loosened up most of the junk in there.

When boating, do not use ethanol laced fuel because the ethanol will loosen whatever dirt is in the tank and you may get carburetor trouble.

If it is a fiberglass tank do not use ethanol fuel or lacker thinner. Both will dissolve the glue used with fiberglass and the tank may collapse.

If it is an aluminum tank,pour a gallon or 2 of lacker thinner into the tank and take it for a ride on a bumpy road for say half an hour. then,add a few gallons of fuel repeat the ride and drain the tank. that should have loosened up most of the junk in there.

When boating, do not use ethanol laced fuel because the ethanol will loosen whatever dirt is in the tank and you may get carburetor trouble.

If it is a fiberglass tank do not use ethanol fuel or lacker thinner. Both will dissolve the glue used with fiberglass and the tank may collapse.

100% correct, my uncles tank melted right into a blob of $hit because of the ethanol in the fuel, had to replace tank!! (Fiberglas tank)

Your fill hose is probably hardened and will leak. Tightening the clamps is not enough. The new EPA rules on fuel tanks prevent gasoline from entering the atmosphere when the boat is not operating just like your car. Your portable tanks are now tested to 20 PSI to allow for expansion when the air warms up. Your portable tanks may be a pain but they work.

Your fill hose is probably hardened and will leak. Tightening the clamps is not enough. The new EPA rules on fuel tanks prevent gasoline from entering the atmosphere when the boat is not operating just like your car. Your portable tanks are now tested to 20 PSI to allow for expansion when the air warms up. Your portable tanks may be a pain but they work.

I alway leave my portable tanks vent open. Any idea if there are side effects of 20psi in the bowl of the carb? Needle and seat? Leaks? I guess if the needle and seat are bad that would highlight by leaking gas out the carb!

I alway leave my portable tanks vent open. Any idea if there are side effects of 20psi in the bowl of the carb? Needle and seat? Leaks? I guess if the needle and seat are bad that would highlight by leaking gas out the carb!

Maybe. There is a fuel filter,a water separator (there should be) and a fuel pump in between the tank and the carbs.