Bummed on the season opener

Requested the first 3 days of the season off of work, drove down to camp in springville Thursday night and was ready to put a bird down first thing Friday morning. Well, didn't even hear a peep all morning Friday. ThAts hunting tho roosted a bird last night, didn't make a sound Flying up. Got all set up this Mornin just to have it fly 100 yards in the opposite direction and never look back lol well, haven't heard anything all morning so far. I think someone needs to turn the mute off so these birds start makin some noise 😅😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Think outside the usual box, look at SLIM state land interactive map find areas where you can listen to large tracts of land and if you can split up a few guys to scout and find birds. Scouting them one day may lead to killing em the next. Spook em and you may say goodbye for the weekend. If you have birds but they are henned up you can go in and bust their roost area in the evening. I have had many mature birds never gobble when they have three or more hens in the same tree with them. They just sit on a big limb and strut, pretty cool to see. good luck, I try to give respect to other hunters and if I see a truck parked I know they probably have heard one there but I give them the spot for the day, but if you can check that spot later...

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Been slow in broome and tioga counties to.Heard a couple on Friday called in three different hens.The one stayed with in 70 yards for over and she couldn't get tom answer either.

Saturday not a gobble two different spots.

So far today,heard a few birds in the roost done gobbling by 5:50.Heard two gobbles around 7:30.Dead since then.

Been turkey hunting for 35 years.  Worked for DEC in the early 80's live-trapping birds in central NY to establish a population in St. Lawrence Co.  Worked pretty well, didn't it Kevin?  In all these years I have never see the population as low as it is in my area right now.  I'm hoping for a couple good nesting seasons to turn things around.  

I usually hunt a honey hole with wise older family friend. We haven't seen or heard a bird all year. It's depressing to think normally seeing 30 plus birds on his property is now like hunting ghosts.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

The biggest killers off turkeys are opossum, skunks, raccoons, and redtail hawks. The wetter the spring the better those predators can track the hens to their nest, of course the redtails kill the poults. Not sure if this winter wiped out a bunch but there sure are a lot less gobblers out there making noise. last two years have been poor hatches. I agree on reducing the number of turkeys allowed to be taken in the fall but if you want to make a difference in your area kill every skunk, possum and raccoon you can legally. How many nests do you think one possum raids?? If only two bye bye up to 26 turkeys....

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Saw large flocks earlier in the victor area.My area in marion is way down i think to the heavy snow we had this winter.Made it tough for the birds to find food this winter.I kept my pond open with a aeriator and feed quit a few wild birds that came in to my small flock of ducks.Didn't have any turkeys around at all winter nor deer.