How'd We Do Fellas?

bosco

Opening night has always been more of an annual rite than a bonanza for me. Honeoye was my home water for a whole bunch of years without a lot of success (1 maybe 2 at the most and a bunch of skunks thrown in). I tried bouncing over to Chatauqua one year and got one plus a Tiger. The last few years it's been I-Bay (since moving to Irondequoit) and I've only gotten one eye in 3 openers. This year I thought I might try Otisco and that was my plan until Thursday when I was convinced the weather would be good and I could spare myself 3 hours of trailering and I had just as good a shot in the bay because I've got summer spots that produce. Was I disappointed? Not so much. I got one an hour in. Just one for the night but it was an I-Bay peronal best of 28" and just over 8lbs. Hit right at the boat and made some great bursts. It fought great and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get it to the net but thank goodness for brand new line and the hook file. I'm usually a little lazy about that stuff but grateful I wasn't yesterday. So I've blathered long enough. How about the rest of you? Where'd you go and how'd you do? (Oneida doesn't count)

Shore casting. It seems like I pretty much run the same program on I-Bay as Justin does on Otisco. Stick baits (and big shallow running shad raps) at night. If I EVER troll, it's usually just one hand-held rod (I hate dredging for fish) and it's usually if I'm getting blanked and I want to learn an unfamiliar stretch of the bay a little better.  Search for new areas that might produce. I slow troll with an eye on the graph looking for hooks and learning the contour.