Fish finder help

First foray out on Keuka today in my red canoe. My fish finder was showing depth and bottom ok, but zero fish. Finally to check it dropped a laker jig beside it, and it didn't show up. I then tried varying the sensitivity, narrow vs wide cone,, and a bunch of other settings, but no matter what my jig was invisible. This is an older unit WideEye 1993 vintage I use with my canoe, and was running off of a 12 volt battery pack (8 AA batteries in a clip). Anything basic to check out, or recommendations for a smaller replacement under $150-$200? Bought a new one for the big boat last year and I guess i'm spoiled now.

If your looking at a cheap (>$100) replacement, look at a Humminbird PiranhaMax 197C.   I use a 196 (black & white) on the ice for lakers, and never never have a issue seeing a 1 oz jig in 180 FOW.

Possibly transducer is going bad but also check to see that the transducer placement is where it should be and hasn't "slipped" out of position etc. because it is possible that if it is pointing wrong then the jig (or fish) may be out of the cone and thus not picked up.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Rather than screw around trying to figure out if something is wrong, or going through a whole 'nother selection process for a new one, I just ordered a second transducer, power cord, and base to fit my Garmin 551, so I can just use it on both boats. Was a around $100 for all the parts.