Chaumont Walleye Help me out

threemilebay

I don't spend much time in Chaumont... Not sure that this will be of any specific help but it will get you thinking...

What depth have you been fishing? What are you running behind the planers? How far back? What's your GPS speed? What main line are you using? Do you have fluorocarbon leaders? Are you trolling straight? S-curves? On and off contours or parallel with them? With the wind? Against it?

This will keep you up at night...

It's not easy and there are a ton of variables involved. You need to constantly think about all of these things and pattern them. Oh did I mention every day is different?

Best of luck to you today and on future trips.

It is hard to give walleye catching advice.  I tell people how I have caught them but I can't tell them how to catch them.  I don't drag lines very often so I have zero advice for you but dead jigging and long lining isn't easy either.

Keep at it.

Was there for 4 hours today,tried different sticks,a worm harness,spoons,different colors,speeds,of boards,two color lead core and flat lines and never moved a rod? That's why they call it fishing?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I fished 7 hours yesterday, 7 hours today in Chaumont and Black River bays. Sticks, a rigger with sticks, boards, no boards, slow, fast, every color of the spectrum, shallow, deep, with the wind, against the wind, straight, zig-zag and not one Eye to show for it all. I am thinking the current moon phase has them feeding at night and lazing during the day.

This time of the year you want a lure with a wide wobble, wide S turns so one side speeds up while the other slows down pay attention to which side is producing, try to duplicate which ever side is working, if marking fish and running shallow sticks add a 1/4oz split shot about 4ft from lure, got to get that bait in their face, might need to use snap weights to achieve proper depth,with snap weights you can add as much as it takes to get in their face, keep changing colors till something happens. With colors 1 fish got lucky, 2 fish might be on to something, 3 is a pattern should be adding more of the same color to your spread, have 1 lure out there with chartreuse red or green, orange. Florocarbon leaders are a MUST, I use SPRO swivels size 10 are rated at 35# and fit through the eyes of the poles and the line guide of the reels, go no less than 10ft, I go 25ft. Size 8 SPRO are rated at 50# but won't fit through the line guides of some of my reels, Mitchell RipTides, Diawia 27, Sealine 47, on these reels I use the size 10's the rest of my arsenal I use the size 8's with never a problem with the swivels. Also use a duo lock or tie direct using a loose knot, so the lure acts freely in the water. Take a look at what kind of bait fish are in that area, or look into what's there favorite fare in LakeO use those colors at first then think outside the box, once you start to fish 30ft or more UV starts to become a big factor. You can buy UV spray, but then you need to use a cover scent as it smells different. I found that smelly jelly does a good job, I'm sure any scented product of course in the fishing mode will work. Good luck hope this helps a little, I will be up Tuesday through Sunday, will post results soon after.

I got skunked as well Saturday at Chaumont/three mile and guffin bays and didn't see/hear of anyone doing any good at chaumont,black river, guffin, three mile.......I think they are just a bit behind this year as the water temps are about 3 degrees colder than last from what I remember.  At least that's my excuse.  We did well at Chaumont, black river, three mile, guffin last year starting a week or so after the opener.  fishing spoons, harnesses, sticks in 12-25 FOW, 1.5-2.0 mph trolling speed.....so I bet you are doing the right things but the fish just arent cooperating- at least that's my excuse for myself.  Went for browns yesterday near mexico bay and did ok...the browns are behind schedule as well from what I can tell but they are hitting pretty good now- one fisherman next to me fishing for browns landed a good walleye and we were both shocked.  Friends who fish Lisbon every year said it was very slow compared to most years...it's just fishing and gotta have patience I guess.

We got 2 eyes but were late into the evening. We trolled most of the day without moving a rod.  We also tried all the normal colors then odd ball colors and nothing helped during the day. The water temp down 10' is 40 degrees so the water is really cold still. The ones we caught were spawned out but empty bellys.  I would be willing to bet that in a couple weeks with some warm weather they will be turning on. I actually had some nice marks stacked on the screen of the fish finder but no takers.  It was a tough weekend for fishing eyes.

Edited by Chas0218