Ice in boat.. problems?

The storage place where we winter the boat left it out for a while before putting it in an unheated building for the winter. The plug was still in.. so the boat ended up with probably 20 or so gallons of water in it which I assume froze solid. Any suggestions on what problems to look for or expect. Not planning on going too far from shore on the first outing! By the way.. it's a Lund Fisherman with an outboard. Thanks.. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Make sure it didn't split your plastic lines going to your live wells.Thats what happened with my boat on my maden voyage when I first bought my boat.Thank god I had a spare plug and shoved it in the inlet or it would have sunk.(Plug the inlet and fill you live wells and make sure they hold water)

Yes and when you winterize the boat it is a good idea to blow out any water in those lines and add camper (non toxic) antifreeze to the lines

Good idea Sean.. Thanks

We had the intake lines rot out on a friends 20ft. Lund. We were on the lake fishing and the pump kept running and wasn't keeping up so we made a quick run and got it on the trailer and stoped on the ramp to let it drain. The water came out of the drain and the intake.The intake did not take the standard plug, its a biger opening so its not a quick fix but you can go to a plumbing supply and  get a  bigger one's to fit.

If you're worried about damage to the hull, why don't you put some water in it, while on trailer to see if any rivets/joints loosened? (check for drips)    Was your gas hose routed thru the ice?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If you have foam in the bottom, the ice may have damaged a lot of the cells, specially if it is an older boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United