Lb Test for Kings

During the Henderson spring classic derby we decided to run to Oswego for a fun day. I only had my walleye rods with me, with 12lb trilene and 10lb seagar fluorocarbon leaders. I set a rigger with a moonshine spoon and an 18lb king smoked it. We had a nice battle on 10lb line but landed it.

When I run for salmon I run 20lb flea flicker or 30lb trilene on all flasher fly rods, spoons are the same with 20lb fluorocarbon leader. All my wire dipsy rods have 30lb if flasher fly and 20lb with spoon. I tryed running 20lb fluorocarbon on my wire dipsy rods and big kings were breaking off on the strike

If fleas were not in issue, would 15 pound test be strong enough to land Kings

Yes we use 15lb Berkley Big Game Mono all spring long until the fleas show up. Then we switch to 25lb when they do show. Would recommend spooling a couple of extra reels with heavier line just in case the fleas have shown when you get here. 

The reason I don't want to spool with heavy line is because I spend the majority of my time on erie fishing walleye. And they can be very picky about line diameter when the bite is difficult to come by, even when using Flourocarbon. My usual set up was 17lb Flouro on my rigger rods and dipsy leaders, and 12lb on my jet divers and stacker rods. So I'm hoping to get by using something in the middle, like the 15lb Flouro. Fwiw I have never pulled a knot using the Trilene Professional 100% Flouro.

When I do fish Olcott I really haven't had a problem with the fleas. My wire dipsys seem to stay pretty clear. And I just check my rigger rods every 15-20min

What lb test are you using for Walleyes?

not to hijack the post, but I've got a similiar issue. I'm tight on $ so I want to use the same rods for everything from spring browns, walleye and salmon. 

I've got 5 cabelas depthmasters 45's and 2 depthmaster 20's. They were affordable when we bought them but they kinda suck. The drags on the 20's were shot right out of the box more or less. When it's time to replace rods I'll get something better but for now they have to work. 

All 7 rods currently have 30# power pro braid on them. We haven't had any issues with breakoffs, knots or fleas even really. fleas peel right off at the first rod guide pretty much. Then we just pinch the clump off. No biggie really. So my question is, is that 30# suitable for walleye, salmon and browns? I have 12lb flouro leader on them now for walleye, but have a few spools of 10lb, 20lb and 30lb I think. Would I be ok just swapping the leaders out for different fish? 12lb for eyes and browns, 20 for coho and 30 for kings?

I'm also thinking of trying to use some of our bass spinning rods off big boards for the walleye and dedicate those trolling rods just for browns and salmon. You guys think I'd have any issues running a spinning reel off of big boards?

Moose knuckle I know the feeling, three back surgeries later and haven't worked a day since. The doctors say I'll never be able to work what I used to, and I'm from the wrong country to qualify for SSI. So I make do where I can, I have 4 rigger rods with 30# Sea Flea, I leader them down to 10-12# flurocarbon in skinny water it works nice because the lure can't dive to its depth usually 5ft max, the other rods all have 30# power pro on and a #8 SPRO swivel which then I tie a flurocarbon leader on to, depending on what we're fishing for. Then I have 3-5-7- color suffix 18# same thing there I use a SPRO swivel and attach a flurocarbon leader to suit the situation. When I run my cores I use my rigger rods plus 2 others. So I try to utilize all I can. I saw they have color metered braid, so if you used that on a spinning reel you would know how far back you are, I really don't think the fish care what type of outfit is in the rod holder.

Edited by pap

• 3 weeks later...