Extremely slow day - I-Bay 5/4/15 AM

Hello friends,

You have to post the good with the bad and today was bad. It goes to show you that you have to evolve with the conditions, as yesterday was a stellar day of Spring King fishing, yet today we headed to our waypoints from the day prior only to be greeted with colder water, less green, and void of any fish marks.

We fished from 20 fow to 75 fow, and only managed two small king salmon. We tried a brown program, dragging cowbells for lakers, and after that didn't work we trolled closer to the bay and that's where we found the two small kings in water that was a full 3-4 degrees warmer than the ice cold water east of port.

The following took fish today:

Mixed veggie standard size spoon

Glow frog SS on a slide diver

Good luck to all - I hope folks did better than us today,

Chris

What were the Temps close to the bay we decided to launch from bear creek warmest we could find was 46.5

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What were the Temps close to the bay we decided to launch from bear creek warmest we could find was 46.5

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Had 45 degree water east, 48.6 near the bay

Funny how fast things changed in a day.  And with no heavy wind overnight.

I was curious how long you have been running slide divers?  Do you prefer them over dipsies, or just when in shallower?  Do you use dipsy rods for them?

Funny how fast things changed in a day.  And with no heavy wind overnight.

I was curious how long you have been running slide divers?  Do you prefer them over dipsies, or just when in shallower?  Do you use dipsy rods for them?

Hey bud -

I added them to my arsenal last year. I use my slide divers exclusively with mono and my dipsys only with wire. Thus they each have their place. I use them when targeting the top 30-40 feet of water and I must say they can be a deadly tactic in the spring or even offshore for top water steelhead.

They can be a little bit of a pain to deploy, but after you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

Chris

Hey bud -

I added them to my arsenal last year. I use my slide divers exclusively with mono and my dipsys only with wire. Thus they each have their place. I use them when targeting the top 30-40 feet of water and I must say they can be a deadly tactic in the spring or even offshore for top water steelhead.

They can be a little bit of a pain to deploy, but after you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.  I think I'll start with one test rig and see how it works out.  I really like the idea of divers, but I firmly believe that standard dipsies are a deterrent to some fish.  They have never produced the numbers that I get on riggers or leadcore.  A slide diver looks like a good stealth rig.

Cdq's dad here been runnin wire slide diver over12 yrs. no need to run them with mono can if u want but run better on wire no belly like mono better depth control need to run wire small strong barrel swivel then 45 ft. Of 40/50# mono so slide diver can be set any were between 8ft to 45 ft away. After heavy mono I run another barrel then 8ft. 20# fluorocarbon . On roller wire rod very smooth. I have run my clear slide diver so long it has yellowed. Can also switch to regular dipsey I use my wire slide diver shallow /deep/offshore. Caught kings/ Steelies /lakers/Atlantics. Caught 6 fish on it this past weekend.fleas can be a pain they shake off for most part.

Hi flx the knot I tie use to be on LOTSA web site. Great knot for wire and downrigger cable I think haven't used it on cable yet. Don't know if web site is still up and runnin? Knot is easy to tie just hard to explain in words. I could try get u some pics. Unless web page still up?

thanks cdq i will check it out! When i attach snap swivel to wire i just tie overhand knot with the looped wire and thread loop in eyelet and pull snap swivel thru. wonder if same but my knot would be maybe too bulky to feed thru line guides etc. thanks again