Urgent Request - Help Save Sampson Marina

The Friends of Sampson SP Marina Committee has been working since 2008 to try to convince NYS Office of Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation OPRHP to complete refurbishment of the Sampson marina.  Without the necessary refurbishment the marina will ultimately be "decommissioned" OPRHP code for replace it with a launch ramp & a few temp docks.

If you utilize or otherwise care about this Seneca Lake facility I encourage you to make your concerns known by contacting elected officials by writing, email and/or phone.

We have provided contact info and sample letters on the Friends of Sampson Marina Website - Contact Officials

We are suggesting / requesting supporters contact:

Rose Harvey, Commissioner OPRHP and Gov. Cuomo with cc:'s sent to Assemblyman Palmesano

I am not trying to be an unnecessary alarmist but we believe we are close to loosing this long term effort and without significant broad based support from the park patrons, the public, and local businesses the decision will be made to eliminate the marina.  

What will the Memorial Wkend Lake Trout Derby be like w/o Sampson Marina??

PLEASE consider helping this worthwhile cause... or don't be upset if / when it is "decommissioned" 

THANKS

Friends of Sampson Marina Committee - a NY Certified 501 © (3) not for profit organization

Sample Letter Attached - please cut / paste and personalize with your specifics for maximum impact

Elected official contact info:

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
EMail Governor Cuomo - [email protected]
You may also contact the Governor's office by: phone (518) 474-8390 or mail: 

The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
_________________________________________________________________________________
Rose Harvey
Commissioner, NYS Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
EMail Commissioner Harvey - [email protected]
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12224

____________________________________________________________________________________

Assemblyman Philip A. Palmesano

132nd Assembly District 
105 E. Steuben St.
Bath, NY 14810
607-776-9691

UserSupportLetter.doc

Last summer all campers had there chance to voice there opinions and concerns about the future of the park and marina. The meeting was with the people of the OPRHP at the park office. The people of OPRHP want to update the park roads and campground. I voice my concern about the marina first. I estimated it could cost up to 3 million to update the marina. I looked into their eyes and I could read their mind. It didn’t look good. 3 million is a lot of money to pour into an old outdated marina with only a few slip owners for the season. If we can get the launch ramp improved now its a start. The trout derby can still use the marina to have a weighing station. We still have the boat launch. Long term survival of this park is more important to update the campground and improve the park roads. The local elected officials don’t want state money poured into this park. They want a public grant to improve this park and marina. If it goes public, this park will loose all its history. We don’t want a big developer to come in and destroy the history of this park. I use this park about 45 days a year. I want the campground updated first. The slip owners of the marina have complained about this problem 20 years ago about the deplorable conditions in the marina. Why do you think people have been leaving this place. Every year the state could have updated the marina piece by piece. They don’t think like the little guy. All they do is spend money on stuff they don’t need.   

If we can get the launch ramp improved now its a start.

The trout derby can still use the marina to have a weighing station. We still have the boat launch.

They want a public grant to improve this park and marina.

If it goes public, this park will loose all its history. We don’t want a big developer to come in and destroy the history of this park. 

To clarify a few points mentioned above...

1. If / when they rework the launch ramp it will be part of the "decommissioning" of the marina ( meaning end of - remove the sheet pile, do away w/ the marina basin, etc)   and will preclude any future work re: the marina as it exists today vs being a first step towards improvement.  Think Lodi launch ramp w/ fewer docks
  2. As long as all derby participants utilize trailerable boats and are OK w/ pulling / launching each day and for lunch etc - campers using a ramp only will be "satisfied" other than the wait times will likely not be attractive during derby days
  3. The Friends Marina Comm have identified both Federal & NY State grant programs that marina refurb would qualify for and could provide approx 20 -25% of the necessary funds - without a refurbishment plan and commitment by parks we can't even apply for the grant$
  4. There is no talk of "big developers" taking the park over and destroying the history - the state constitution prevents that from happening to state parklands

This doesn't have to be either campsite improvements or marina refurbishments - the fees of each should support / justify maintenance and improvements of each respectively.

I know more boats would slip there if they allowed the charter boats. We love that location and the marina is a great atmosphere. Maybe they could rethink their seasonal slips to gain the demand the marina needs to get the attention it needs as well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It wouldn’t cost much to remove the two wood launch docks now, and put in two new floating launch docks. It makes no since to me to close the marina. First thing they should do is gut out the marina. Dredge it out and put in floating docks for the smaller boats and use wood docks for the bigger boats. The wall around the marina is still good yet. The longer we wait and delay this project we will never get anything done.   

I know more boats would slip there if they allowed the charter boats. We love that location and the marina is a great atmosphere. Maybe they could rethink their seasonal slips to gain the demand the marina needs to get the attention it needs as well

lakebound

Check your PM's re: seasonal slip for charters.

hey lakebound should try and get ahold of senator nozzolio and see wat he can do to help

Actually. Don looked into it. They can. We carry the proper insurance but there is a commercial fee. :thumbs up: worth it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

It wouldn’t cost much to remove the two wood launch docks now, and put in two new floating launch docks. It makes no since to me to close the marina. First thing they should do is gut out the marina. Dredge it out and put in floating docks for the smaller boats and use wood docks for the bigger boats. The wall around the marina is still good yet. The longer we wait and delay this project we will never get anything done.   

Yeah but..... Emperor Cuomo needs all the states money for the Tappan Zee bridge rebuild.

He is probably hoping they will rename it in his honor to give him free publicity for his future run for the Presidency :lol:

Great atmosphere ??

When I come down there to ice fish the guy's on the wall act like it's their property

You missed the point, as a seasonal boater, it's a great view and easy accessibility to the lake.. If you're saying the boaters treat it like it's their property? Maybe you're fishing too close to their boat, not sure. It does say no fishing in the marina, but if they are hollering at youbfor fishing the lake side, just ignore em. I always did.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

But then again if you're ice fishing, they may just be jealous, they don't have the kahunas to stand on lake ice... Haha

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

wonder if the state could redo the marina and charge more to use the camp grounds and marina to help pay for it idk kinda like when the town put the water line down your road my taxes went up I sure like to see it stay open I will send an email ROSE HARVEY

Edited by fisherdude

I was looking at the marina last week. I see no work started yet. I think somebody is playing politics with this project. It makes more sense to start this project now than wait later. I heard its going to cost over 5 million to update the marina. That was figures 2 years ago. Now its probably over 8 million to update it. The longer they wait. This project will never get started. If you look around other state parks around our state. These parks are getting millions to improve their park. I heard last week. The state is going to start building some cabins along the lake soon. I heard we might have some kind of whi fi soon too. They are starting to put money in this park for the campers. Don’t get your hopes up for the marina. We might see the boat launch get updated. The rest of it will sit there and rust away till the next politician comes by and says he wants a new marina for Sampson. This park needs millions just to improve the campsite part of it. I think we might be better off looking for a private money to improve this marina. The state has the money but we don’t have enough political pull to get the money we need now. To many mouths to feed now.