Lake trout

I've got business clients coming up to go brown trout fishing in 2 weeks. Looks like brownies have been hard to come by. Anyone have some lake trout pointers? I do not have riggers so it would be a leadcore or dipsy setup. Thank you.

Don't know where you are fishing but where I am there is good action for lakers in 50-70 fow I have no problem getting them in dipseys with flashers and flies or on spoons just get near the bottom ank keep it slow!,

I've got business clients coming up to go brown trout fishing in 2 weeks. Looks like brownies have been hard to come by. Anyone have some lake trout pointers? I do not have riggers so it would be a leadcore or dipsy setup. Thank you.

. Do you have space on your boat to put riggers?

If you run dipseys from 7 strand wire rods you can instead of the dipsey put a three way swivel on your existing swivel snap (providing it is stout enough) and run sets of cowbells off them with either a peanut or Spin - Glow about 18-24 inches in back of them and a 24-32 oz sinker on a 2 ft drop line off the bottom of the three way. Run it jsut off bottom while maintaing it by letting out wore as you go deeper.

Use spoons off 3,4,5,6 cores. In 2 weeks even a 10-color may work. Slaughtered them yesterday in 60-90fow went 23-28 on them. Cowbells are horrible you can't even tell a fish is on the other end of the line.

They are still the most effective way to catch lakers consistently without downriggers or much in the way of additional equipment although in Lake O it sure isn't all that difficult to get them no matter what you use when they aren't out too deep.  It just has to be something that can get you down near the bottom regardless of depth fished.

Where are you fishing? Mexico? Get ahold of me a couple days before your trip Señor. Will let you know what's going on based on recent trips to put your colleagues on fish. I'm up 15-25th this month so will be out a lot. Lakers are in the top 30' of water column way off bottom right now. Not sure it'll be the same story in 2 weeks but I'll let ya know.

Edited by FleetTracker

Thanks!! I have family and friends from Philadelphia coming to visit me up at Fort Drum at the end of this month and I need to figure out how to catch some fish in lake Ontario.. I don't want to disappoint them... Never heard of cow bells but just did some reading on them!! Thanks!!

I wouldn't give up to quickly on Brown Trout fishing being the doldrums,this soon, but having a good back up plan for lakers is a great idea..You'll have to keep checking conditions where you'll be fishing..Cowbells a consistent producer, but without down riggers not very sporty using 2 pound weights to keep lures down.Also speed is reduced so that tactic doesn't allow for other faster moving tactics.. I'd keep inquiring here give location and when..I'm sure helpful tips will follow..If no results go with your gut and where your most experienced.If  no action shallow figure a way to get deeper Dipseys mite be the ticket..Keep eyes on electronics for tips on where fish hanging out.Good luck

Thanks ripper5!! Unfortunately the axle on my trailer needs to be replaced and the trailer is in the shop do no boat for me for a little while. I was hoping to try stuff out to see what works.. I will keep reading reports.. Hopefully I will be back on the water soon!!