Bass Seasons

I've been trying to sort out all of the special regs for the areas I fish. I plan to fish Black lake, Butterfield lake and the area around my camp near Sackets. I realize for all of these areas, black bass doesn't open until the 3rd weekend in June. 

When I looked at the special regs for Black lake, it states "fishing for black bass out of season, including catch and release is prohibited" But it didn't mention if catch and release for bass is prohibited for Butterfield lake and black river bay/chaumont bay. So can I assume I can fish for bass (catch & release) everywhere except for Black lake or is it off limits completely until the 3rd Saturday in June? I'm trying to stay legal but they sure make things confusing. Either that or I'm just stupid lol.

Great thanks. I looked over them a few more times, looks like I can target bass in butterfield lake, catch & release before the June opener. You think that's correct? I might fish Butterfield this weekend and I'd like to use senkos on a worm hook and cranks.

Also, I've heard rumors about having any bass tackle on the boat during the closed season for Lake Ontario and it's tribs. Is this true? In other words, if I'm using a crank bait for pike could I get cited for fishing for bass out of season? I mainly use cranks and spinners on flouro leader for pike but if I get checked, the DEC guy could say I'm bass fishing. Do they hassle you about this? I don't intend to throw a worm hook and a senko out for a pike, I could see that being an obvious issue. But a crank bait can catch a lot of different fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe catch and release is not allowed in St Lawrence and Jefferson County. Also if any fish is caught, incidentally out of season, you may not bring them into the boat or measure them or photo them out of the water. I'm fairly certain this is the regulation now.

I talked to DEC about incidentally catching bass while crappie or pike fishing and he said if you are catching many bass you should either change methods or move to a different area. I believe the law is somewhat arbitrary and tickets are up to the CO's discretion.

Kevin is correct. State regulations apply to everywhere but Jefferson county and its tributaries and St Lawrence and its tributaries.

I fish crank baits and spoons for pike in the shallows around Henderson bay (sackets side), and around horse island... There seems to be a very fine line between where the pike lay and the bass are bedding. We inevitably hook some smallies. We even use steel leaders and they still slam them. I always figured if we were questioned the steel leader proves I'm set up for pike.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United