Islander MR2LA My New Baby's Here

Just got my Islander MR2LA and now I've got four Islander reels I'll never have to use a level wind on my riggers again. What Islander have done is incorporate all the best features of the MR2 & MR3 reels into the MR2LA. The framework is the MR2 with its free spool capabilities but has a large arbor like the MR3 with a larger drag knob for easier drag adjustment. I put the line on her last night and I'll have her christened next week.Islander%20MR2LA%20002_zps7e6bgrwe.jpg

Edited by Blue Knight

So you're running a fly reel on a downrigger? What is the benefit of doing that? I think it would cause fatigue with that little handle.

That is not a fly reel it's a mooching reel. I don't know how many years you've been fishing Lake O for Pacific salmon but I've been doing it for forty years and I'm still a rookie compared to the boys on the west coast. If you ever go out there it's going to be hard to find a salmon boat using level wind reels, they all use mooching reels. Pretty well the only time you'll find them with a level wind is if they're fishing for halibut! It's a fantastic experience using a mooching reel and as I said I'll never put a level wind on a rigger again!

Do you carry extra insurance for your charter in case someone has a knuckle injury? :lol:

Good one Gill ha! Everyone that's had the opportunity to use them has said they were fantastic. Fighting one of those fish in Lake O with those reels is challenging as Big Mac said and everyone wanted to have another go with them. I use my line counters on the dipsys but never used them on my riggers. I've never seen a need for that!

My goal is to always land fish as quickly as possible. And thereby not playing the fish out to the point it can't recover for release. To each his own. I'm glad you like your new gear.

Edited by jigstick