Big Jon planer reels cracking at the handle

I had that issue last season but it was my fault.  When the handle meets a dock post it does not hold up well!  other than that, mine have been solid for 12 years. 

I've had one break, now I try to be "gentle" with them and stop the boat to bring in my boards.

Cisco makes a replacement reel that's all steel. I plan on trying them if another plastic BJ cracks on me. Their not cheap either but at least you shouldn't have to replace one because it cracked.

Second instance for me now the plastic around the handle has cracked, and the replacement isn't cheap. Anyone else having this problem?

Spike

Spike - this will be my third set with the same problem but these are my DR reels. My BJ Planer reels seem to be OK. First two sets replaced at no cost. This time around BJ is giving me a hard time (they want pictures, me to unwind my cable on both reels and send them the reels for them to take a look and go from there).

Needless to say but that puts my downrigger fishing out of commission for a few weeks.

I fish 12# torpedo weights which is within the Big jon guidelines for my Captain's Packs.

I can PM you my contact guy at Big Jon. Perhaps if he hears more of this, he would be a bit more understanding.

Personally, I thought he would just send me two reels at no cost. I have lost some respect for them over there to be honest.

Chris

Edited by momay4000

I've had one break, now I try to be "gentle" with them and stop the boat to bring in my boards.

Cisco makes a replacement reel that's all steel. I plan on trying them if another plastic BJ cracks on me. Their not cheap either but at least you shouldn't have to replace one because it cracked.

Yup, same here. Slow or stop the boat. Even pressure. Shattered one on a hand crank. I wasn't man handling it either.

Well Since I broke the first one I have always tried to pay attention to the stress on the handle when reeling them in. I also slow down and steer towards the board. This trip my crew reeled in the boards and I didn't think to warn them about the stress on the handle. I can't see myself replacing these every year or two so I think it's time to upgrade to quality. Cisco here I come.

Thanks for the responses. It's always nice to know your're not the only one having problems.

Spike

Yep I have had bj downrigger and planner reels ... my planer reels broke same spot too ... and that junk spring for the line counter on the downriggers always slipped and vanished ...all I can say is I won't buy bj ever again

I as well am a fan of cisco bit more but will last the life of your boat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion

Just solved my problem! Ordered up a Cisco system! 

I also went electric as well. Heck you only live once and I'm not getting younger.

Thanks for the insight on BJ having issues (not just me).

Spike

• 1 month later...

This post jinxed me. Just shortly after reading this I had one go. I used a two part epoxy for the repair and now is stronger than original. I am adding a strength member and epoxy to the other one just to beef it up. I've been running mine for 9 years without issue until this

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a good contact number for Cisco.I got my new planer mast but it was short a backing plate. I called a few times and emailed before someone finally answered and said they'd send one right out. Well two weeks later and I'm still waiting. I've been unsuccessful trying to reach them thru email or the phone. Is this typical from these guys? I didn't get that impression reading about them on here. However it is what it is. Hoping someone has a better number for me to reach them.

Thanks

spike

Edited by CaptSpike

• 2 weeks later...