"What's it like to be charter captain?"

A few of my students asked me this question last week. You can Bing, Google, or try to explain it but what is better than the real thing? How about Captain Sam Zucco from Dream Catcher Charters? Sam is the president of the Genessee Charter Captains Association. He was also happy to have 3 extremely excited 5th grader aboard his beautiful 32 foot Penn Yan charter boat. All the questions were answered with a smile. I was thrilled with his generosity seeing those big smiles. Sam wasn't done making these kids fishermen for life though. Captain Sam took us to the fish pens where my students fed and learned all about steelhead and kings. Thanks to Sam! These kids shared with the whole school that they went on a charter boat and are now fishermen. "When can we go again Mr. Hammond?" Let's all take kids fishing. They are the future of this great fishery.

post-143370-0-28131300-1431027987_thumb.jpg

post-143370-0-34573500-1431028021_thumb.jpg

post-143370-0-86545400-1431028096_thumb.jpg

post-143370-0-05422500-1431028147_thumb.jpg

I bet you he didn't tell you it's a lot of hard work, because he probably loves what he is doing.

I'm not a charter captain, but I do understand the work that goes into it. Getting there early to setup,

having to be entertaining and witty the whole day long, and then cleaning up and get ready for the next day.

If you don't love doing it day in and day out, it isn't a job for you.  I couldn't do it, so kudos to those who do.

Sam is a great captain with many years under his belt and full of knowledge. He is happy to talk and answer any questions you may have. I am in the process of getting my license and you really have to be committed. It is a full time job and you can't forget that but it's one that if you love it then you will always be happy doing it. It's also costly but then again the expense gets put in the back burner when the drags fire off and everyone is smiling and screaming. I love it and love teaching what I have learned, sometimes it's a miserable day but at the end I look at it like I wasn't sitting in an office somewhere wishing I was outside. It's also good to have a good crew also the has the same passion.

• 2 weeks later...