Black River Bay Eyes

Xxx

Well after a few set backs we finally made it to camp Tuesday afternoon, launched the boat at BJ bait in Dexter and got a slip at the camp grounds, I noticed some nice size heads and bodies of the end of the dock, thinking man they are here!!! So set up boat and headed out to the bouys, we set lines at 12ft of water and took a nice 4#er 15ft of water just before the last bouy, marked some nice arches trolled out to 25ft of water made the swing came back on the same line and picked up another eye just before the last bouy in 17ft of water, this one was 4.5lbs on a Smithwick gold and black the first one was one a Bomber long A all white with a. Red head, getting dark and two fish to clean we pulled lines and headed towards the barn. What a great start!! Next morning on the water 6:30am out to the bouys started setting lines in 12ft of water noticed a small pack of boats out at the last set of buoys so stayed right outside the green bouys and picked up a 24"er 15ft of water with a Rapala J9 split back gold and black, really didn't see a lot of marks so picked up and ran down to Pilliar Point set up in 15ft of water with shallow mixed bag on starboard side and 2 reef runners on port side and 5 color core with a Sutton spoon with chartreuse green tape on one side down the Shute, just got settled in when Shute rod starts screaming, 10 minutes later we boated a 15# just shy of 40" northern, beautiful fish, released to swim once again, just got the core rod set and the reef runner side starts pumping thinking we had the mother of all walleye on we get fish close enough to notice it's a huge sheep head, yup all 18#s of it, release her and now we're going to run to the back side of Galloo isle. Just about on plane when all of a sudden a loud bang came over us and we slowed down to nothing with motor still at an idle went to shift into forward nothing reverse nothing, now what? Well fire up the kicker and head towards shore at 3,5mph for over an hour we see a dock and a guy mowing his yard, he notices us and motions us over and we explain our problem. He allows us to dock our boat and offers us a ride to the campground to get our trailer and truck and he waits for us to follow him back, then we drop our trailer in his yard and he hooks on with his 4 wheel drive and backs the trailer under our boat that I only had to winch about 6ft of cable to get the safety chain on and the boat up tight against the stop. Then in 4 low he pulls my whole rig up to the road and it was a very steep ramp, a 2 wheel drive would never pull it up, I was never so glad to see it on the road!!! That man saved my a$$ and may God. Bless his sole and family. He wouldn't accept any money, he told me he broke down once and someone towed him home so now it was his turn to help out a fellow boater and said us guys need to stick together. Got back to camp and went over everything and all fingers pointed towards the lower unit, so we pulled the lower unit and it's definitely in there. The propeller and lower shaft turn but not the upper shaft and it makes a bad sound where the universal joints are there are 4 bolts that hold a square cap on. So we headed home 2 days early, but we will be back. Tight lines to all and may all the NY state locals who help folks like me out be blessed in one form or another. You guys are what makes this country so great!! My hats off to you all! PAP

Glad to hear you made it out Pap.  I think that boaters are more sympathetic because of the familiarity with the problem and understanding of what it feels like to be on the bad end of it.  I have read countless stories on here about strangers helping out and I would say that I would stop fishing to help someone in need as well.  Sucks to be a bobber and anyone who has an older boat knows this all too well.

I had my boat problems last year (I hope).  Didn't need a tow but was worried about it a few times.

BOAT --> Bust Out Another Thousand  I have towed a bunch of boats back to port, I almost ran my motor dry on oil last weekend didn't realize my reservoir had a pin hole and emptied out during the winter. I always fill it up at the end of the season but forgot to check it this year.  Luckily the reservoir has a small shelf that allowed some to stay pooled in the bottom.

I must say I was disappointed but even my uncle said I remained calm, to calm he was nervous that something was wrong with me. Well I waited 3 years for this day to happen, after 3 back surgeries and many mountains to climb I finally got the 1 WORM to Dexter NY, before leaving PA. I had to replace all the bearings, races, and seals adjust the brakes, work on my uncles van, because my truck, the motor went bad, so I looked under his van and the tow hitch was rusted to bad, I wasn't going to use it, it wasn't worth the risk, I told him about it and he tows his sons boat up to our place also and was glad I noticed it. He is so busy with work, but he told me he ordered a new one and it would be in at Dry Creek trailer if I remove the old one and install the new he would appreciate that so that's what I did on Monday, so we left Tuesday instead, at least we got to fish Tuesday evening and 4-5 hours Wednesday before all hell broke loose. To add insult to injury on the way home we stopped just over the PA. border at a Flying J to fuel up we hit a MC Donald's and I got 2 burgers off the dollar menu after an hour or so I got terribly sick, that I had to pull over and puke my guts out and I got a terrible headache and not much longer I had to pull over again and relieve my self out the back, for better terms. So it seemed to take forever to get home, unload the lower unit then take my uncle home, I was so weak I only drove like 25-30mph home, then I got sick again but at least I was in the comfort of my home. I fell a sleep at 3pm and my wife and girls didn't wake me till 6pm. I think I had food poison from MC.D's. Still at R&R as of now but starting to feel human again. Going to do some research on my lower unit and find my repair manual and will report what I find. Yea us guys that know how t feels to be in the middle of know where will help each other out where we can, I know I towed many a boats to port already and never accepted money, saying you have enough troubles, you will need that money to get back on the water. Thanks for the support guys, we will be back. PAP

Glad to hear you made it out Pap.  I think that boaters are more sympathetic because of the familiarity with the problem and understanding of what it feels like to be on the bad end of it.  I have read countless stories on here about strangers helping out and I would say that I would stop fishing to help someone in need as well.  Sucks to be a bobber and anyone who has an older boat knows this all too well.

I had my boat problems last year (I hope).  Didn't need a tow but was worried about it a few times.

I think I stayed calm because I knew I had the kicker motor, our concern was we only have a 3 1/2 gallon fuel can strapped on the swim platform. We are sitting on 60 gallons of fuel but trying to figure out how to get it out of the main tank and oil to mix in the gas as its a 15 horse 2 stroke Evinrude, I will be putting in a T in the line before the water separater and some sort of a hand pump and 2 stroke oil on board. I'm a firm believer in if you have it along you won't need it. Thanks BS. For the kind words, I was very happy with the way everything worked, our layout of the boat worked well. Tight lines to all, be safe out there. PAP.

$875 for my head gasket fix but at least it's done and running well. I fished Chaumont this morning and even ran to Sackets but never moved a rod from 6:00- 12:30. Tried from shallow to 50 fow and ran various lures off boards and riggers. Saw a great deal of bait dimpling the surface but didn't mark much at all. Another beautiful day on the water but nothing to show for it. Never saw anyone net or fight a fish.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Well maybe till I get stuff put back together things will have turned around, it's funny how some say they are catching eyes while others are struggling?? I remember years ago I had my girl friend up and she is now my wife and our girls are 10 so it must be 15-18 years ago, at Memorial Day week end we caught well she caught a 2 man ticket around the bouys, I had a 18ft Troller open bow center console and the waves were coming over the bow and it was non stop action, that following weekend I brought my buddy Danny up and we did well then again, I wonder if this is going to be the case this year? Oh ya I remember we went over to Fay's for some supplies that's how many years ago it was.

Fays had more tackle than dicks and gander put together

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That store was awesome, we used to stop there and get supplies on our way to our Canada Trips walleye magic do you remember the jig head assortment they had? And the Walleye Delight worm harnesses? I caught my first ever eye on the chartreuse and Orange beetle spin bodies, they also had a net assortment like I never saw before, I actually bought a rubber Ranger net which I still have to this day. This store was way ahead of the times. The water temp on the surface was 56* as of last Wednesday and out at the last set of buoys at 15ft was 54* but I'm sure that has changed since last Wednesday, there was a SW wind so it was blowing right up the river. The north shore was colder and that water has made its way into the bouy area. I don't know the outcome of that as that's when I powdered my lower unit.

72 in Henderson yesterday with a beach of swimmers. Temps rising so fast this year...

Holy crap surface temp was 72? That's nuts!

Sent from my thinking chair...

I fished BRB solo yesterday morning(Sunday 5/10) and had 66 degrees mid bay. North shore had lots of surface scum and floating slimy algae. I had 6 bites total : 1 perch, 1 pickerel, 2 nice northerns , landed a nice 28 " spawned out walleye and dropped another similar size  eye close to the net.....only a few boats out .

P1010281.jpg

Thanks KJL and pap...

Glad you ran into some good folks out there and you made it back ok pap...Hope you get back on the water real soon ....looking forward to your reports .

Yea, the big guy in the sky was defiantly looking over us that day!!! We will be back, waiting on parts for the lower unit, tore the lower shaft off. The mechanic I deal with thinks I should drop down in gear, as the boat originally had a 305cid, that was junk when I got it since then I put a 350cid in its place. The motor was built by my uncle who builds dirt modified race engines so it's got more HP than the original 305 rated at 185hp, he figured it to be 260 or better.