Lake Erie

rhoyt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fishing out of Barcelona tomorrow. and Memorial Day weekend as well. Anybody been out of that harbor? I'm thinking of starting in 60fow and trolling to 75.

So I went west out of the harbor down to the red barn. And trolled east. Picked up two walleye off the dipsy. 90 back. Smashed lakers off the riggers. Nothing off the the planer boards. Fished 55-90fow

Unfortunately I don't fish that close to shore. There are supposed to be some pretty big boulders along the shore line east of Barcelona and I don't know where they are. Plus I don't have leadcore. It's hard for me to fish in 35fow with my big dipsys and down riggers. I can't run them shallow enough. But I may try running planer boards off one side of the boat with the deep divers.

Been a good start to the year so far for resident fish on the PA/NY border (Northeast). Migration still isn't too far east, so most have been to the smaller size (2-3#'s). I have not had to get my trolling gear out yet being most I have marked are in the 25-35 FOW range. Most have come on the "rim" of the lake, that narrow rocky ledge that transitions into the main "mud" of the lake.

Right now Ohio is hot. Won't be long before we start to see some of the little "piggy's" around.

Ended up yesterday with my limit of six eyes from the first ball to a few mile east of Dj's. All bites came on two and three colors between 30 and 35 ft. Hot lures were bagley's fire tiger and black and silver. Exceptional day time bite. Can't wait to get back out but the wind is brutal today. It won't be long and those fish will move off shore. Last year this bite lasted till about June 1st. Then we have to move out.

When u guys are trolling shallow water like that how deep are you running ur baits? I guess I could shorten up my leads on the down riggers and run them10-15ft down. But my big dipsys, even on a 1 setting, will be tough to run less than 20ft down

I don't fish my divers usually until the fish hit the 40+ FOW range. I have on occasion ran some mini divers, but I find that flat-lines and core are just as effective in less than 40 FOW. Flat lines I will usually run Renosky deep divers and/or Rapala tail dancers. The Tail-dancers will easily hit 30 FOW on flat-lines at about 120 back.

If you want to troll in the shallows, I would recommend a couple cheap jet divers. Maybe a 10 or 20. I like the floaters if I do hit shallow due to the rocks.

If I am in 15 FOW I would run less than 10 down. 25 FOW, 15 down......30 FOW, 20 down. Once I get passed 30-40FOW I rely on my sonar more that just generalizing depths.

Went out 5-830 last night out of sturgeon 30-35 FOW working shallower as it got later. No walleyes but the smallies were liking the worm harness and stick baits. This double was impressive and kept the kiddos interested. Quick pics and back on the water for these guys. post-153876-14324612963165_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United