oneida 05-08-2015

johnnywalleye

Its not just you.  I started out in Maple Bay, nothing but pickeral after pickeral.  I fished from 6 feet to 30 feet of water, trolled, jigged. ran spinners, you name it I did it. I covered a lot of lake.  The baitfish up in the shallows are unreal too.  The lake is quite void of walleye yet.  Fish being caught up in fish creek are still full of eggs and sperm.  I have wasted enough gas since opening day, gonna sit it out for a couple more weeks.  Fishing is tougher than the beginning of last year and last years opening weeks wasnt great.  Everyone I talk to at the launches are saying same thing. 

Edited by Steelman

That has to be more rare than common right now.  Since the opener I have fished many days, covered a ton of water, seen a lot of boats out there, and hardly a net over the side.   You can get lucky and hit a small area of them, but its seems short lived.  The shallows out in front of Fremac did well for part of a day, Maple Bay you could pick up a fish here and there for example but go back there hours later or next day and they are gone.  I must say this is all part of walleye fishing though and is part of what makes fishing them fun, finding them, figuring out the bite and patterning.  Sort of like deer hunting with a fishing pole lol.