Electric Downriggers

Hello everyone.  Great board.  Amazing info shared.  

Any general advice for putting power to electric down riggers?  Will be running two.  Thinking about upgrading from my manuals.  I run a 19ft Lund.  Current power is my main starter.  Then I have a 24 volt electric system up front.  My preference would be to run off my two batteries up front.  I have a charger wired to them, won't be using the electric when using down riggers, and would like to avoid an extra battery on the boat.

Anybody doing this?  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

You will be very happy with the upgrade. I pulled heavy gauge wire from my battery selector to a Blue Sea waterproof fuse panel (30 amp fuses) mounted within the transom then heavy gauge wire to the flush mount Cannon plug ins. There was another two fuses left in the panel for runs to my electric planer reels.

Make sure you go heavy enough on the wire gauge, proper voltage is key.

I run 4 riggers and a few other electronics from 1 of the 2 batteries that are wired in series for my 24 v trolling motor. The riggers are fused at the battery and it was suggested that I use the battery with the negative lead on it. I charge the batteries after each trip and so far in 2 seasons, no problems.

Edited by Thun

I installed another battery switch that allows me to choose which battery I want to power the riggers and electronics from. (i.e. front or back). I run a 24 volt trolling motor off the front set of batteries and the 24 volts occurs at the plug.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app