Blind Squirrel Sportfishing Rochester Report 5/7 and 5/8

Thurday morning we decided to take a gamble and leave the bite that has been going on between shipbuilders and ginna. We opted to head west - knowing that the conditions would be tougher BUT not a boat has been west for awhile so we wanted to try for a derby fish in virgin waters for our customers. Ran West to just before Braddocks and found warmer water BUT gin clear to point we could see bottom in 20' of water. We set up a full brown spread and worked 15-25 fow from before braddocks bay to the light house. We pulled some browns but all cookie cutters and one about 6 pounds.Natural sticks in black/gold and black/silver off the boards with 150 to 200' leads. We turn north at the light house and switched gears seaching for a king. Zig zaged between 45 and 75 foot water (still very clear) braddocks pulled a coho of a 2 color core with gllc wobbler in black/silver, then a bunch of skipper kings on the rigs and 5 color cores. turned back east towards light house and moved out to 85-115' water. Pulled a nice steelhead of silver face/red cup wobbler off a 2 color core and some lakers up to 14 lbs. off wire 90 out on a 3 with white/green dot soinny and pro/am fly and  125 out wire with NBK spinny and fly. Lost a good fish on the 60' rigger 40' back with nbk mag. It was now 11;30 and we had out limit for our guys from the tough waters but no derby fish or big kings. We talked with our old bud A-lure-a who was fishing west and said he had some kings and steel still going off hedges. So we pulled and ran to try for anothr grand slam and a derby king.

Set up off hedges about 12:15 and started setting our the king spread. Didn't take long and we got a few kings going but nothing for the loc with biggest boated 16 pounds. Pulled rods at 2:00 with a good full box and a grand slam. Thanks for keeping the bite hot for us A-lure-a and keeping us updated. Kings came on 5 color core with NBK dw SS and 30' rigger with mongoose spoon, $5' rigger with GLLC double down spoon.

Friday we went back east and set up just past shipbuilders in 65'. Different water - color-temp and screen. Trolled to hedges between 65 and 85'. Tougher bite for sure but still pulled our fish All kings with a bonus of a beautiful Atlantic salmon. Had a better screen by hedges and a litttle east but all our fish but 1 came west of webster to just off i.bay. 65'-85' fow. 5 color color green spook and gator dw SS spoons, 45' rigger with 42 second spoon, 25' rigger gllc double down, wires out 90 on a 3 with 42 second spoons, 10 color core with wonderbread, The Atlantic came on a new custom painted red/white great lakes wobbler off a 2 color core. All fish on  Friday came on a west troll except 1. Long leads off the rigger 45-65 back

off for a few days for boat maintenance and other commitments. nice 7 out of 8 day stretch of fishing with a wide varity of species including 3 Atlantics and 4 grand slams. Love fishing off Rochester from kings to browns to steelhead always something chewing!

Glad you got a few Steve. Appreciate your help as well this week. Had an insane mid morning king and steely bite east of Hedges that day. Didn't get our first bite until 9:30 and then it was doubles and triples until I had to pull at 11:30. Interesting week out of the ROC for sure, Fished eight straight mornings and some days we had a stupid crazy bite and some days it was a grind. Never really had a great early morning bite which makes sense with the full moon all week. A high, wide, and bright program produced the best for us with pinks, reds, and orange spoons producing off the 2,3,4,5 and 6 cores. Caught kings everyday so it should be a good year with a large pod off kings down west and in Rochester. 

Chris the guy holding the fish sent me the pic last night at 9pm when I was doing report. Sorry he sent wrong pic and I didn't look before posting. We'll get pics from Him and post.

Thanks again a-lure-a and hope yA poked a few on that spoon I floated yA. It good multi species and multi condition spoon. Always in my spread somewhere.

Edited by KING ME