decided for a change in scenery so made the call to fish out of wilson since that seemed to be where the better king bite was..up at 230 left home 330a. pretty awesome seeing the various boats stacking up at end of pier heads. got around them and motored wnw for 3-4 miles then set up in 110 fow as the screen looked good. got the third rod set when second rod got smacked but no hookset. re set that started to rig again and that same rod fires this time hooked. 1/2 way thru the battle a ff combo released and now doubled!! sitting on cloud 9 so far. boated both and the ff fish was ounces shy of 20#!. re set the 4 rods and was riggin dipsey and spoon rod on rigger fires.. 3rd king inside of 20-30 minutes! that would really be the end of our excitement. then the fleet shows up from shot gun start...boats all over we now have our 6 rods out. and aside from swapping out countless spoons they barely moved. 4 rigger and two dipsey. (4 ff combos and 2 spoons.) added the coppers when traffic cleared. worked that area then deeper then shallower. ended day at 5p going 8/12 with 5 kings boated the rest LT missed 3 short rips on coppers too pulling spoons. saw marks... many at 55 ' but fish seen from top to bottom on graph.from 110-210. i have no probe and feel speed was some of issue. as well has having the right temp but feel that if i am seeing marks that would tell me down temp was favorable( a simplistic approach). early bite was on bad toad and carbon 14, ff was white green sd with white green fly. ssw, and alpha alewife accounted for the other kings.. Was hoping for a better day hail mary passes rarely work i guess! my 11 yr old brought in most of the fish here he is with the 19+! if any body has suggestions shoot me a pm i am all ears. thanks.

post-152882-1431281560495_thumb.jpg

So we fished out there from Wednesday till Saturday and the bite died as soon as that slight east wind picked up every morning wich was close to 8 o'clock each day. Anywhere from 10-15 bites each morning than you had to work really hard for them after that so I don't think you did anything wrong. That early King bite was slammin though for sure.

Judging from the results of the Wilson invitational you did better than 1/2 of the boats fishing the tournament.  We were just East of you guys and did pretty well until about 8.30 then it slowed to a pick here and there, mostly lakers the rest of the day.  Also noticed many tournament boats running east late morning which tells me they were struggling after the AM bite.

Something to think about, if your first couple of rods fire before you get all your rods down, then die after you set the other rods, maybe the fish don't like the newest rods in your set.  Try taking a couple lines back out.  Sometimes less is better, at least on some days for us.

Thanks for replies! Yeah i considered the idea we had too much going on in our spread and eventually switched to all spoons except dipsy pullin ff rigs. then switched to 3 riggers with spoons and kept the ff rigs on dipsy. probably shoulda just run all spoons!... and meat if i had brought it!

Thanks everyone!