big boards and traffic

What are your thoughts on running boards waay out in heavy traffic?  There were a few running long board lines at the bar this week and it stirred quite a fuss on the radio.  Just wondered what the majority think? 

FYI those white boards are nearly impossible to see in high sun with a little chop, at least for me. 

I think 100-150 feet off either side is about as far as anyone can possibly run a board , before they are actually running behind, instead of beside a boat. 

If you are closer than that to me on a pass, you are too close . JMO. 

Certainly courtesy is very important.

Getting too close to another vessel, for most any reason can raise an eyebrow, and tempers.

We don't care for it, and practice that as well.

Fishing the pack is not fun boards or no boards everyone thinks the other guy is going in the wrong direction. Stay out of the pack and enjoy the day and most likely catch more fish.

Edited by bigblue

It is one of the main reasons I usually shift to outriggers during derbies people can see you coming from a long way off and anyone with any sense will usually adjust their path accordingly much sooner than with boards especially in rough water conditions.  I only run boards way out when traffic is light or non-existent and it is usually only the shoreline board.  A little courtesy goes a long way out there and even if someone is self centered and selfish....do they really want to deal with that mess from tangled lines from another boat?

IMO if you're running in traffic, 75ft on each planer cuts you a pretty good patch of water. Just fished the WHI and some boats had twice that out in traffic. Discourteous and rude!!

IMO if you're running in traffic, 75ft on each planer cuts you a pretty good patch of water. Just fished the WHI and some boats had twice that out in traffic. Discourteous and rude!!

YOU GOT IT!!!

Those are those Erie fisherman! They seem to think they have 4 rods on each board still and run them waayyyy out there! LOL

Those are those Erie fisherman! They seem to think they have 4 rods on each board still and run them waayyyy out there! LOL

Lmao and then try to crowd YOU into the ledge just because they have boards out. Side cutters are now a permanent fixture in the back of my boat! Watch for floating boards!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have no love loss for guys running big boards way out during the derby in the pack.   I've also been cutoff by guys running autopilot to their waypoints in the pack, regardless of traffic.  Apparently a 30 ft boat always has right of way vs. a 24 ft boat.... and it wasn't anyone in this thread.

I have no love loss for guys running big boards way out during the derby in the pack.   I've also been cutoff by guys running autopilot to their waypoints in the pack, regardless of traffic.  Apparently a 30 ft boat always has right of way vs. a 24 ft boat.... and it wasn't anyone in this thread.

Inattentive boats on Autopilot with boards waaaay out are a bad combination for sure.

even more fun when your in the 14ft boat and getting pushed into the pier thats why i fish afternoons and evenings now less crowd more room to fish.

I don't know about this thread, but I do know that in the 2 years I got to fish alongside all of you crazies, out of the Oak, I mostly saw courteous and conscientious fishermen.  I remember doing the inside outside dance with Yankee several times, but neither one of us ever cut each other off, and everyone was usually friendly and cordial.  I have seen way worse boat courtesy among the walleye crowds in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas.  I was almost always one of the smallest boats among the fleet out there, and I am sure a bunch of you got to used to seeing my little white Tracker Tundra hanging out amidst your monster hulls!!LOL  I just hope that I was as courteous to everyone out there as you guys were to me.  One of my tricks, though, was to try to be on the water and set by around 5:00 a.m., so that I was already trolling when all the monster boat wakes slammed into me!!  I will have to agree that boards should only be deployed way out, when a guy is out of heavy traffic.  Good luck this season, my NY Peeps!!  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :)

Those Erie guys were a pita and cocky. The plus side is they got skunked in the WMI. The problem with trolling the bar is that you can get pushed from 150' to 50' of water very quickly. Some jerk pushed me in but I had the satisfaction of taking a rigger hit when making a sharp turn and the fish went airborne about 15' from his boat. :)