Any reports from Bowmanville/Port Hope/Cobourg area

Went out Sat morning in Darlington, real though for us, only managed to land 2 (one nice 10.5 pounds bow and a shaker) some charter did well though. Went out again for around 2.5hrs in the evening 5h30 to 8h00 pm and did pretty good, landed 4 (1 King. 1 shaker and 2 bows) were most people came back with nothing or 1 or 2 including the charters. Sunday was bad for everybody, we all came to shore with 2 or less ( we did 1 bow and 1 shaker). Went  8 for 8 in a day in a half. Lost of shaker this year according to the charters. I am looking forward to the 1st week of August, fishing will probably have picked up I hope, same as last year.

Funny - I was out on Sunday and was 5/5 (4 kings and 1 bow) in 4.5hrs of fishing.  Was in tight (110 - 145 FOW) for the first 2.5 hours with nothing to show and then packed up and went out to 275 FOW.  Action started within 5 minutes of setting up.  Kings were 6, 12, 15, and 23lbs. 

Set up on 275 went out to 290 and then came back to 260.  Fish were taken in 275 - 260 FOW down 35.  Tons of bait out there and fish were down as deep as 60.  64 on the surface and 48.2 down 35'.

• 3 weeks later...

I am back from Port Darlington. Was there from Friday July 31st to Monday August 3rd with a relative. This was another successful annual trip for us, give or take the bad weather in late afternoon on the weekend.

No success at all Friday pm 2pm to 7pm, fishing from 140 to 220 fow.

Saturday was a very good day with 6 fish in the box, 4 Chinook and two Coho. Lost two big ones as well, both of them broke the setup, one a clean spoon (must have been a bad knot) and one that broke the leader between the dispy and the spin doctor. May be I should reconsider using snubbers? Let me know your thoughts ...

Started at 6am on Sunday. The lines were on fire for a few hours from 6:30 to 8:30 in 90 to 120 fow. Caught a Steelhead and a Chinook, a few shakers, and lost a big Chinook twenty feet from the boat. We then went south up to 280 fow without any success, then came back in 120 to 80 fow for the last hour before returning for lunch around 1pm. Cam back around 4:30pm and stayed close to shore from 70 to 110 fow due to bad weather forecast, and had to rush out back to the marina around 6pm to avoid the terrible storm.

Could not go out Monday morning due to the height of the waves(4 to 8 ft) likely caused by the huge storm late Sunday.

At all times, we had two lines on downriggers and two lines out on dispy divers (set on 3). Most of the hits on clean spoons off the riggers, and some success (low number of hits but solid fish) on the dispies with spin doctors and flies. White, Green and Aqua blue were the most successful colors.

Too bad I had to come back home for work! I love this lake ...

Sounds like a good run for this year,

I refuse to run snubbers its just one more link in the chain that can fail.

I run braid on all my lines and my catch/miss ratio is no worse than most others and some years is better.

• 4 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 10:35 AM, FishBob said:

I am back from Port Darlington. Was there from Friday July 31st to Monday August 3rd with a relative. This was another successful annual trip for us, give or take the bad weather in late afternoon on the weekend.

No success at all Friday pm 2pm to 7pm, fishing from 140 to 220 fow.

Saturday was a very good day with 6 fish in the box, 4 Chinook and two Coho. Lost two big ones as well, both of them broke the setup, one a clean spoon (must have been a bad knot) and one that broke the leader between the dispy and the spin doctor. May be I should reconsider using snubbers? Let me know your thoughts ...

Started at 6am on Sunday. The lines were on fire for a few hours from 6:30 to 8:30 in 90 to 120 fow. Caught a Steelhead and a Chinook, a few shakers, and lost a big Chinook twenty feet from the boat. We then went south up to 280 fow without any success, then came back in 120 to 80 fow for the last hour before returning for lunch around 1pm. Cam back around 4:30pm and stayed close to shore from 70 to 110 fow due to bad weather forecast, and had to rush out back to the marina around 6pm to avoid the terrible storm.

Could not go out Monday morning due to the height of the waves(4 to 8 ft) likely caused by the huge storm late Sunday.

At all times, we had two lines on downriggers and two lines out on dispy divers (set on 3). Most of the hits on clean spoons off the riggers, and some success (low number of hits but solid fish) on the dispies with spin doctors and flies. White, Green and Aqua blue were the most successful colors.

Too bad I had to come back home for work! I love this lake ...

Fish Bob  Our boat runs out of Cobourg. Last week we were in fairly tight 80 to 100 FOW. Tool this beauty 28.8 on a dipsey with snubber  We use 2 rods with Dipsey s and learned from losing tackle, How important the snubber is.  Braid from the rod down to the dipsey is a must. The snubber right behind dipsey then to rigs. Helps soften the bite when a Big fish grabs on . We have got way more  fish using a snubber. You tear the jaw out of the fish without them . Leaves them with a tooth ache. We pulled a 28.8oz King on that set up. Send a pic too you. 

• 1 year later...