Suggestions for new Fish Finder

My parents are looking for a new fish finder for their bass boat.  The boat is used mostly for bass/northern pike fishing, but will also be used for jigging for lake trout on the finger lakes.  They are looking to stay around the $250-300 range, just wondering if anybody could suggest a good one for that price range.  A few of the ones that they were looking at were the Lowrance Elite-4 Chirp (83/200), and the Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar/GPS Combo.  I don't know much about boat electronics, so I'm looking for a little help!

Thanks,

Sean

Here's an old topic from a little while back when I was looking for a Fish finder that was great for Jigging. Has alot of good info from a bunch of people who helped inform my decision. 

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/37917-fish-finder-jigging/?hl=%2Bfish+%2Bfinder

I am very happy with the Hummingbird 386CI for the record. I assume the Helix 5 would be even better with the larger screen. 

-Pete

Thanks for all the advice, it has been very helpful.  I think they are leaning towards the Helix as you all suggested.  Now the question is, do they go with the Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar/GPS Combo, or do they spend an extra $50 and get the Humminbird Helix 5 DI Sonar/GPS Combo?  I'm not too familiar with down imaging, so I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $50?

Spend the extra $50 for the DI. Just my opinion. There are times I find the DI more effective for subtle bottom hugging fish over conventional sonar. To me the separation is better, and there are some advanced option that help tune it in better. Again...in my opinion. Humminbirds don't have the best separation, but I think they have the best clarity.  

Also....GPS is great, but can be difficult to see on the smaller screens. I finally switched up to the 858 HD DI last year cause I am getting old.

Good question on the benefit of DI over deeper water. My only see's 90ish at best on Lake Erie, but I find benefit in it at that depth. Not sure about over 100 FOW though. At 90' I can zoom into the bottom with no issues, but again...I have a much fancier FF over the Helix.

But....I am using it to find bottom huggers. If I were simply looking for the suspended guys I don't think I would see the added benefit. I would rather see arcs for suspended rather than clouds. On the bottom I would rather see the low clouds over arcs that you can't see anyways.