Needing some friendly advise about trolling

Whatever swivels you use make sure they are SOLID RING not split ring. Some real good advice has been given and it'll help to keep the transitional nature of June (usually) in mind as mentioned above because it can be frustrating after hearing of monster browns and some kings being caught previous to that as happens and most of us keep our expectations in check these days in June :)

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks guy......as much money as I have spent the last thing I want to do is scrimp on terminal tackle. I ordered some SAMPO swivels, so I hope I am on the right track.

I ordered a few different releases, figured the best way for me to decide what I like best is to have a few of "this and that" with me. I have played with a scotty stacker release I bought, and I must say it seems easy to use. I ordered a Chamberlain stacker, and an offshore. I might invest in a Blacks if I can get to Field and Stream this weekend.  

A lot of advise has been given to me about the transition period that June can bring, but I got to keep my hopes up. I have never made it up to Ontario at an opportune time. First year was in late September....and it was slow. Second year was early April, but a big storm moved through as soon as we arrived. Third year was July and the same happened....big storms moved through all week long and a huge cold front. Figured this year I would tackle June and see what happened. Nice thing is that I am not new to fishing, so if nothing else there must be some harbors or small lakes we can entertain ourselves at.  

Even if we don't catch much, just being with family will be well worth the investments and efforts. We can always sit around a fire with a few brews and talk/laugh about our failures. If nothing else....I know these guys and something funny and/or unique will happen !!!! Expecially once the sun sets.....

The nice thing about the fishing changing in June is that I don't have any April or May experience, so I can't compare one month to the next. I don't know where they are now.....so I don't have a place to start......which will probably work in my benefit. I imagine our first day up will be pretty much scouting water and trying to mark some locations. I plan on keeping an eye on the charter boat guys, while still giving them plenty of room to make their living.....

I have made a couple of very good contacts on this site, so I am sure I can get some good advice come early June. I am amazed at how nice everyone is. It's a nice change.  

Question on the OAK......is it pretty much just open water with no real defined structure ? I have a decent map, so I can see the water drops depth fairly quick, so I assume part of the game is continuing to move around and get a pattern. I am so used to running 10-12 miles on Lake Eire to get to the fish, but it appears you don't have to go too far off the OAK to hit a variety of water depths ?

Thanks a million everyone !!! I feel better already !

I've only fished the Oak a few times but there are a few landmarks people refer to regularly.  Johnson creek, pump house, flats, silos, glass house, devils nose.  Someone else may chime in here but Johnson creek and the pump house are on the west side of port and the rest are on the east side.  I think they run in the order listed heading east. 

Vetting - Love the pooch in your picture !!! What a cutie !! (the dog, not you)....lol.

Yeah he is our early warning system for salmon.  As soon as he hear the rod click more than 3 times, he knows a fish is on and its not just a wave pulling on the inline board.  He gets out of his boat seat and barks on the transom until we get the fish in.  

I've only fished the Oak a few times but there are a few landmarks people refer to regularly.  Johnson creek, pump house, flats, silos, glass house, devils nose.  Someone else may chime in here but Johnson creek and the pump house are on the west side of port and the rest are on the east side.  I think they run in the order listed heading east. 

I assume most of these are visual landmarks on the land ? I am probably asking too much. Understandably some of these spots are probably guarded pretty close by local, so I should probably keep it to fishing help and not more than that. Thanks !

Yeah he is our early warning system for salmon.  As soon as he hear the rod click more than 3 times, he knows a fish is on and its not just a wave pulling on the inline board.  He gets out of his boat seat and barks on the transom until we get the fish in.  

I have one of those as well.....as long as I can keep him in the boat. He has a tendency to get in the lake and try to bring the fish in !!! There are days I am not in the boat 10 minutes before he makes the big leap.

So the idea is to get the Sampos and then add your own snap directly to them?  I've been using Sampo coastlocks, but I dont like how they are so narrow on the spoon side. 

I assume most of these are visual landmarks on the land ? I am probably asking too much. Understandably some of these spots are probably guarded pretty close by local, so I should probably keep it to fishing help and not more than that. Thanks !

The greatest thing about the Oak is the free sharing of information. We have NO secrets. We have the best fishing on the lake for the largest part of the year and we know it. 😛

At that time of year start in 50fow and troll northwest or northeast until you find a picture or hit some fish.

Stop by Lake Breeze Marina when you get in. If I'm on the boat feel free to ask me anything---same goes for most of us there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

No problem...that's what this site is all about.  People helping each other.  You'll get a lot of different information and will have to work out your own program but it sure shortens the learning curve.  With what you have I'd run 2 braid divers with Flasher flys and 2 riggers w/spoons stacked or cheated. 

I use the #8 SPRO power swivel to attach the fluorocarbon leader to the main line which is usually the length of the rod and a #2 duo lock snap at the busness end to attach spoon, these swivels will fit through the eyes of the pole, so you can reel the fish to the boat, no need to walk back or handline the fish to the net. The SPRO #8 is rated to 65#s and will fit through the line guides on some makes and models of reels so best to keep leader the length of the rod. Fatboyjack1 this site is awesome and a wealth of information, but you can read and watch all the video's you want, there's nothing like actually doing it yourself, the gratification you get when you land that fish is awesome!!! Good luck on your trip, with this goofy weather we are having there's no telling what the month of June will be like. Pap.

No problem...that's what this site is all about.  People helping each other.  You'll get a lot of different information and will have to work out your own program but it sure shortens the learning curve.  With what you have I'd run 2 braid divers with Flasher flys and 2 riggers w/spoons stacked or cheated. 

Hawkeye, I think that will be my strategy. I am very familiar with dispy's, so I understand them a lot more than I do riggers. I have learned a few tricks over the years to get them deeper than the dive curve says. Let's face it, it seems like the fish are always deeper than you can get.....but a little experience and trial and error helped me out a lot.

The riggers are what has me anxious, but I suppose getting some time using them is 1/2 the battle. Not sure why something so simple is so intimidating !!!!

I use the #8 SPRO power swivel to attach the fluorocarbon leader to the main line which is usually the length of the rod and a #2 duo lock snap at the busness end to attach spoon, these swivels will fit through the eyes of the pole, so you can reel the fish to the boat, no need to walk back or handline the fish to the net. The SPRO #8 is rated to 65#s and will fit through the line guides on some makes and models of reels so best to keep leader the length of the rod. Fatboyjack1 this site is awesome and a wealth of information, but you can read and watch all the video's you want, there's nothing like actually doing it yourself, the gratification you get when you land that fish is awesome!!! Good luck on your trip, with this goofy weather we are having there's no telling what the month of June will be like. Pap.

Thanks Pap !! I am not too worried about catching myself, but would love to get my uncles onto something good. They are from western Ohio (on the Indiana border), and don't have many opportunities to tie into something large. I have so many opportunities up here in NW pa with Erie only being 1/2 hour away, and Lake Ontario is less than 3 hours.  

I took my youngest uncle to the OAK last year on a charter boat, and you should have seen his eyes when the Steelhead jumped and did a big tail walk.......I thought he was going to drop the rod !! I get much more out of watching them catch than I do catching myself. We didn't tie into any kings, but he will never forget the 7# steelhead.......

I am gaining a lot of confidence from you guys - which I think is the best way to go into new fishing....with confidence.

Thank you all !!!

can you provide a link for these?  #2 duo lock snap 

The greatest thing about the Oak is the free sharing of information. We have NO secrets. We have the best fishing on the lake for the largest part of the year and we know it.

At that time of year start in 50fow and troll northwest or northeast until you find a picture or hit some fish.

Stop by Lake Breeze Marina when you get in. If I'm on the boat feel free to ask me anything---same goes for most of us there.

Paul - Thanks you for the invitation to talk when we arrive. Also, giving me a starting point helps tremendously. Makes me want to pack up and move closer to Lake Ontario !!! 

As always, if there is anything I can do to return the favor, please don't hesitate to ask. Even though I don't have much salmon or trout experience, I am one heck of a good walleye fisherman on lake Erie.  

Paul - Thanks you for the invitation to talk when we arrive. Also, giving me a starting point helps tremendously. Makes me want to pack up and move closer to Lake Ontario !!!

As always, if there is anything I can do to return the favor, please don't hesitate to ask. Even though I don't have much salmon or trout experience, I am one heck of a good walleye fisherman on lake Erie.

Lol....I've been known to catch a few walleyes myself. I live in Erie and ran charters on Erie for 15 years before moving my business to Lake O.

Stop by the boat and we will chat!

I forgot to mention the ONE quirk we all have at the Oak---the information is FREE but information you can actually USE will cost you a beer. 😛

Blue Light is preferred.

What is it with you guys and blue light......must be the Canadian wind you breath in all day !!

No worries on the beer....I would forget my wife before I forgot the beer.

Glad to hear you are an Erie native. It says a lot about the fishing in Lake Ontario if an Erie guy moved his business away. I was surprised to hear you say that.......expecially being that the Erie guys are so tight lipped !