Spoons....flys....dogers....flashers...cranks ?

Been reading a lot of info on here about various lures and such. I am taking my first trip to the oak in mid-June with my own boat, and trying to figure out a starting pattern. Some say to run all the same lure, some say to mix it up.....some say to try different depths. I will have a 4 rod spread, to dipsy setups and 2 rigger setups. I might have time to get a 5th rod holder mounted, but don't want to "overwhelm" us by trying too much at one time.  

Spoons seem like a preferred lure. I understand mixing up colors and such, but what brands am I most likely to find in a local tackle shop ? Should I stick with one size and/or brand ? I didn't know what speeds affect which spoons.

Are crank-baits commonly used on Lake Ontario ?

What about dodgers and flashers ? Any benefit for the "first time out" novice to use these ?

Stacking rigger lines worth it for the hassle ?

I take it "flys" are not effective without something to give them some action ? Thus, dodger and/or flasher.

I am not specifically looking for any 1 species, but would like a couple fish if I can put in the effort. Laker would be great.....but heck, even smallmouth or pike work for me.

Take care guys, tight lines.

If you want to catch lakers get some cowbells and fish them 1 to 2' off the bottom likely in 100-140 FOW

June can be a tough month to fish as the lake is in flux and changing,The thermocline likely won't be set up yet.

Offshore scum lines and surface  temperature breaks can lead to good steelhead fishing. 

Thanks dvdegeorge. I have come to understand that June can be tough, but unfortunately it is the only time we can all get together. I have heard of cowbells and see pictures of them......interesting to say the least. What lures would anyone recommend to use trailing the cowbells ?  

Being I only have 150' worth of rigger cable, and only 8# balls I would be better off spooling one rigger with 200' of cable ? Probably going to pick up a 10# ball as well, but I think that is about all my riggers can handle.

Your advise is certainly appreciated !!

As far as spoons go, I would get a few magnum Moonshine spoons and a few standard size ones in colors with green, black chrome and white, in any combination, for king salmon.  You might also want some reds, yellows and oranges for for steelhead and cohos.  Moonshine spoons have the toughest paint enamel that I have used, and the glow lasts a long time on them.  I would also pickup up a couple of Spin doctors to run your flies behind, in Mountain Dew/chrome and white/green dots, to start out with.  You can catch fish on crankbaits, like reef runners and bay rats, and rapalas, but you might want to just stick with the spoon and flasher basics, until you get them down. Good luck! :yes:  :)  

Edited by John Kelley

Thanks everyone.......you guys are helping me take the guess work out of some of this deeper water trolling. If anyone needs lake Erie walleye or perch advise, let me know. I am more than happy to help anyone of you out !!

Sounds like I need to make a grocery list...lol.

I do have a couple Peanuts already. Probably need top pick up a multitude of different spoons.

Tyee,

I will have some on-board.......just placed a fishing order for $200.....and still probably missed something. How far back from the spin doctor do you run the fly ?? I assume 15' or so ? Same approach, run off the ball ? Thanks.

For an 8" spin doctor you'll typically run the fly about 18 to 26 inches behind (22-24 inches is probably most common).  I like to attach the fly to the hole on the "more action" side (the hole across from the fins not right behind them.  When I run them off the downriggers, I use a 15 to 20 ft lead past the release. 

For spoons, I love the Moonshines, but I would suggest picking up a few non-glow finish spoons as well.  I'm not sure what other brands the Ontario guys use as I fish Lake Michigan, but  did well with the magnum sized Silverstreak Blue Dolphin last year.  I also did well with a variety of Dreamweaver Superslim spoon (pretty much anything orange for steelhead) and a variety of greens and yellows for salmon and purple or black down deep (70+).

For an 8" spin doctor you'll typically run the fly about 18 to 26 inches behind (22-24 inches is probably most common).  I like to attach the fly to the hole on the "more action" side (the hole across from the fins not right behind them.  When I run them off the downriggers, I use a 15 to 20 ft lead past the release. 

For spoons, I love the Moonshines, but I would suggest picking up a few non-glow finish spoons as well.  I'm not sure what other brands the Ontario guys use as I fish Lake Michigan, but  did well with the magnum sized Silverstreak Blue Dolphin last year.  I also did well with a variety of Dreamweaver Superslim spoon (pretty much anything orange for steelhead) and a variety of greens and yellows for salmon and purple or black down deep (70+).

Holy cow. This website should have a loan application center !! LOL. I ordered a couple moonshines, and a lot of other bright colored slimmer spoons. Of course I got some very large spoons as well.....never know. I need a bigger tackle box now.....Thanks guys !

Uh oh!  It starts with a small collection - and then it grows... too fast if funds are available.  I generally like to run almost all the same brand of spoon at the same time - so that means when I hear a certain spoon is working I end up buying 8 to 12 different colors of that brand.  Of course I do make it out quite a bit. I made about 35 trips last year.

I don't mind buying the equipment needed for a good trip, but my wife thinks I should sell my motorcycle to support my fun.

I think I should sell some of her shoes.......and the cat.

Thanks guys !