Oil weight?

JakeyBaby

What is the most recommended oil weight to use for summer time trolling? I have a 350 small block, I want to say I was told straight weight 40 before but can't remember......

Edited by JakeyBaby

Seventy per cent of engine wear is on start up where the fresh oil needs to get there fast. 10w30 has thinner oil that wears like 40 weight but gets to the cylinders faster than 40 weight. Unless you have a prelude system the multi weight oil is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Seventy per cent of engine wear is on start up where the fresh oil needs to get there fast. 10w30 has thinner oil that wears like 40 weight but gets to the cylinders faster than 40 weight. Unless you have a prelude system the multi weight oil is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I ran 40weight in my 302s to keep the oil presure up at troling speed.(low rpms)never had a problem with them.

It is the first few moments during start up when the cold 40 weight oil fails to reach the wear points of the engine. Nascar engines use 0w50 weight oil, though expensive, they get quick lubrication and less windage and friction to achieve higher power.

From the AMSOIL website

"OK . . .What does a 5W-30 do that an SAE 30 won't?

When you see a W on a viscosity rating it means that this oil viscosity has been tested at a Colder temperature. The numbers without the W are all tested at 210° F or 100° C which is considered an approximation of engine operating temperature. In other words, a SAE 30 motor oil is the same viscosity as a 10w-30 or 5W-30 at 210° (100° C). The difference is when the viscosity is tested at a much colder temperature. For example, a 5W-30 motor oil performs like a SAE 5 motor oil would perform at the cold temperature specified, but still has the SAE 30 viscosity at 210° F (100° C) which is engine operating temperature. This allows the engine to get quick oil flow when it is started cold verses dry running until lubricant either warms up sufficiently or is finally forced through the engine oil system. The advantages of a low W viscosity number is obvious. The quicker the oil flows cold, the less dry running. Less dry running means much less engine wear

• 3 weeks later...