Kicker issues

I presume that it does this while you are trolling. If so,can you run it at a slightly higher rpm? Also, it is always a good idea to run the kicker at 2000 rpm for a bit to "clean out the system". I usually do this at the end of my fishing day just to make sure that there is no carbon buildup in the wrong places.

Water in the fuel - almost guarantee it. Get a water seperator installed and don't run any of the ethanol crap gas in the boat and you should be good to go. I used to have a 9.9 high thrust and can tell you that I experienced the same issues the first year I had it - installed water separator and only used non ethanol premium (pumped the first gallon into my truck to make sure any residual ethanol fuel from the previous customer was out of the line) after that.

I think I'd try running a can of Sea Foam through it before changing out anything.....possibly a residue issue. Maybe it is running too lean on the fuel?

What year is it? I have been having some issues with fuel starvation in my 92. Rebuilt carb, fuel pump, replaced bulb and line. Replacing the fuel connector at motor with own and filter tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'm on to the fuel pump. Apparently there was a vapor locking issue in the pumps and the new version is cooled by the pee stream. I can see its getting air somewhere at the filter. Not sure if this helps you but I will let you know what happens. Rebuilding the carb made it run significantly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Does it seem to run with out stalling when you pull the choke out right before it wants to stall? If so I'd say carb issue, or fuel line issue, like leaking in air can't remember if you said it was a 2 or 4 stroke. Might want to check plugs as well.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I had similar issue before. Motor would run good for about 20-30 seconds then wanna stall out. Pump the ball and same scenario again. I pulled the fuel line connector off the motor, removed it from the fuel line and found that there was a blockage in my fuel line in between the bulb and the connector that hooks up to motor. Come to find out the ethanol in the gas I was using was eating away at the inside of the fuel line. Once I cleaned out the blockage in the connector and fuel line, the motor ran with no problems. After that we replaced fuel lines and bulb and now only use non ethanol gas. I still put a little sea foam in fuel tank on fill ups to be safe. Sea foam can't hurt. Start simple check fuel lines and inside the fuel line connector and bulb first. Then I would look into a carb clean. It might be water in the gas issue as well and the reason the main motor runs fine is because that motor has a water separator installed and the kicker doesn't.

Edited by bhf76

Check the primer ball connection and make sure it's not sucking air bill. That's a possibillity. The Suns uv rays beat on that hose all year. Every scenario or diagnostic mentioned above is possible. Good luck bud.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Some people tee off the kicker engine fuel line from the main engine fuel line. This allows air to be sucked into the small engine fuel line from the vent fitting on the main line. Connect your kicker direct to its fuel tank and keep them separate.

What year is it? I had a 90?'s (Can't remember the exact year) that would stall but then restart right away. I couldn't figure out what was wrong had spark, fuel, etc took it to the mechanic and they found the breather valve was plugged giving it a lack of fuel type issue.  So might also check breathers and pcv valves (or whatever they are called on outboards)

I didn't wanna bug u any more than I already do nick. Thnx guys.

You are not bugging anyone, that's what we're here for, I had simular issues this spring, I put my kicker in a barrel to test run before she heads north. First off she started hard, like blisters between my fingers!! Finally she started would idle fine but wouldn't take any fuel, just stall but would fire up on the first pull, I did everything I could think of finally I pulled the fuel line off at the motor and found there is a screen type filter in there which was corroded and brownish looking fuel layed in the filter(I used fresh gas in the gas tank) so I shot carb cleaner directly into carb. put it back together and like Les mentioned I removed but a gallon of fuel and mixed a super strong batch of gas and Sea Foam started the motor up and let it idle for 10 minutes tried to give it throttle and it took more but acted up, kept doing this and soon it cleared up with no more problems, trolled Wednesday and half day Thursday till my lower unit decided to crap out on me, trip over, but kicker is strong as we used it to get to a dock where a nice man helped us out!!!

It started up first try a couple of weeks ago and I prob got 25 hrs running on it this year. Only started doing it end of trip the other day. I know it's a fuel issue Nothing else makes sense to me And I seriously doubt it's seen any ethanol I just dropped 100 gallons in it last week and it ran fine for a while But I won't be draining that tank down

anytime soon. I'm gonna def check fuel line good. And I do feel like I bug nick as him being the previous. Owner he knows the boat better than anyone And I bug him with question a lot Thnx

I'm talking where the fuel line runs into the motor itself, should be a black round or square with a screw to hold it onto the side of the engine itself, you must remove the engine cover and follow the fuel line up till it goes into the engine, there is a screen under that cover where the fuel enters the side of the carb.

One great way to troubleshoot a few things at once on kickers is to throw a known good fuel tank, line, and bulb in the boat and connect to it. If you still have problems, work the engine side. If the problem is corrected work the boat side. All the info above is great, this just cuts it in 1/2

Edited by buckboardjr

Pap, I've got money and the fuel line. I bet a loose clamp at the primer bulb or bad primer bulb. This is a 4 stroke yami. Never seen ethanol in 4 and half years I owned her. Fresh carb clean last spring. Also water separator changed monthly. I bet she's sucking air. Before you even start it bill. Pump that bulb hard. See if any fuel leaks. I'm sure you will see the problem if it does. I've replaced the line before. That motor is a champ. Rule the fuel issue out first. The connection to motor could even be sucking air.

You don't bother me. She's a fishing machine. I'll do what I can to help

Pap, I've got money and the fuel line. I bet a loose clamp at the primer bulb or bad primer bulb. This is a 4 stroke yami. Never seen ethanol in 4 and half years I owned her. Fresh carb clean last spring. Also water separator changed monthly. I bet she's sucking air. Before you even start it bill. Pump that bulb hard. See if any fuel leaks. I'm sure you will see the problem if it does. I've replaced the line before. That motor is a champ. Rule the fuel issue out first. The connection to motor could even be sucking air.

You don't bother me. She's a fishing machine. I'll do what I can to help

Ahh gotch ya, if I had known it was yours I wouldn't have suggested this, I took it as all this other was gone over already, anyway that was my issue, a shot of carb cleaner in her and she purrs like a kitten. Yea, tighten up hose clamps hook up motor line and squeeze the ball hard, that will push out the fuel at the weak link!!! Hope he finds it, just something stupid being over looked!!! Oh and if the ball doesn't get rock hard the primer bulb is bad. Edited by pap

I had the same problem last year. After the kicker running fine the first few trips it decided to act up as yours is. I had the same problem Pap suggested in that the screen was plugged. A good cleaning and an inline filter installed and knock on wood ran great after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So I just replaced the motor connector with an oem and replaced the filter as well. Didn't do the trick. I replaced my new Atwood primer bulb with a new Yamaha bulb and ran it in a barrel. So far so good we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a mercury 15hp kicker and had the same issue I changed every fuel line the baulb the motor connector new filters and had the carb rebuilt twice and new thermostat was still stalling. Took a year but found out that it was gettig too hot and the gas was vaporizing so I cut out a section of the cowling on the carb side and put a vent in. It runs like brand new haven't had a issue since.