Terminal Tackle for Wire Dipsy Setups

Last year I had my 7 strand wire snap twice just above the dipsy.  The first time was because my buddy popped it like an A-Hole.  And the 2nd time it snapped because I decided to try using a knot instead of crimps to attach my Sampo Swivel.

Up at the bait shop in Olcott they sell this kit to attach your swivel to your wire.  It comes with a few crimps, some shrink tubing, a swivel / snap, and a little hollow metal tube.  The wire gets threaded through that tube….thus protecting the wire from contacting the swivel / snap.  

Does anybody know where the hell I can buy that metal tube?  Its about an inch long.  Or a place I can buy that kit…other than the Slipperty Sinker in Olcott?  I mostly fish lake erie close to the PA line, and don't want to drive 4hrs up to Olcott to buy $5 worth of terminal tackle.

If your wire broke "because of a knot" you tied it wrong. Crimps are FAR more likely to break than a properly tied/executed overhand loop knot.

In 25 years of running wire dipseys using overhand loop knots I have never had a knot break.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I tied the knot correctly.  What I'm looking for is a source for that metal horseshoe shaped tube / thimble.  I have the crimps  and crimp tool.  Im even thinking about using a piece of SS spring if I can't find it.  

Edited by jigstick

You don't need the "kit" I've used crimps for many many years successfully with wire. What may have happened is either you may have crimped improperly (allowing the wire to work back and forth or too tightly allowing it to sever at the end) or if you used a Sampo with a split ring they will often cut line or wire with any significant weight on them if the line or wire slips into the groove of the ring. I've had my current connections on two wire rigs for at least 5 years through many kings and other fish without problem and I run large heavier divers too.

a) Make sure you are using the proper diameter crimp for the wire you are using

b) Use a good quality SOLID RING swivel snap

c) when you crimp the wire make sure you crimp it snugly in two places on the crimp toward but not exactly at the ends of the crimp. You want the ends of the crimp to be pretty well closed on the wire but not totally because you don't want  the edge of the crimp to work back and forth on it. In the past when using very thin wire I put a drop of Instant Glue in the hole of the crimp and then I crimped it - not necessary with the 30 lb and above stuff though.

d) After you get the crimp the way you want it you can use a small amount of CLEAR hot glue on the entire crimp and the lead up to the loop of the swivel. That will keep the crimp from moving back and forth on the wire and potentially severing it and also allow you to see through the glue to monitor the condition of the wire.

Edited by Sk8man

I can get you that info next time I am upstate on the boat. I usually purchase the sleeves and pliers at tackledirect. Pliers cost me like 40. Crimps are cheap. Crimps should be just large enough to get the wire thru twice.

My current crimps are what I use to make musky leaders. No idea what size they are. And my crimp tool is a Klein electrical plier set. Definitely not ideal. But those kits I mentioned before were great. My first two wire setups lasted 5yrs before the one went bad. I can terminate with that kit in about 5min. I think I may have found a source for the thimbles. It also looks like a lot of ocean guys use a 1.5in section of SS spring in place of the thimble. Apparently the O rings on the Sampo swivel snaps ride real smooth on them as well. What I don't want is bare wire running through the O ring

Edited by jigstick

Like I mentioned before. I will never use that knot again. It may work for you guys...but not for me. I appreciate the info

Edited by jigstick

Ive always just tied 2 or 3 overhand knots further up the line and pulled it tight with pliers.  Then just trim off the extra tag.  Boated multiple 20lb+ angry kings and have never had the wire break.  Another key is to make sure to put a large bead on the line before tying you knot.  This prevents from sucking the swivel up into the roller or rod tip.  Also, make sure you keep tension on the line when you are storing the rod.  

if you really like dumping divers to the bottom of the lake, please feel free to use crimps.  Me, I'll keep using the knot.  I've been using that for at least a decade and never once had it fail.

I think it another of the many personal preference issues more than anything else...it still boils down to what you feel confident in and whatever works for you that you feel you can trust and therefore folks feel strongly one way or the other....kinda like religion or politics.... strong points of view but not necessarily the ONLY way to do it and have it work for you.

if you really like dumping divers to the bottom of the lake, please feel free to use crimps. Me, I'll keep using the knot. I've been using that for at least a decade and never once had it fail.

The only two times I have ever lost divers is when I used the over hand knot. And I'm not an idiot. I know how to tie overhand knots. I started this post looking for advice on where to find an item. Not to wadge war on the best way to terminate wire. Use what you want. I could care less. I like the crimps and thimble. If anyone comes across the thimbles let me know. If anyone wants to stop at the Slippery Sinker in Olcott and pick me up a few kits I'll gladly compensate you for your time and money to get them shipped to me in Pittsburgh.

You don't need all that stuff. Either your wire kinked or your knot is no good.

Use this knot, I've had this knot on some of my wires for 4 years, and no problems. I've never snapped my wire. Make sure you keep your wire under tension always, and avoid pigtail kinks. Inspect your knot and retie if necessary.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

On the above, I tie the overhand knot first before I connect the snap swivel. And use a good snap swivel, with ball bearings like spro.

Have been using the knot connection for years, never had one break. Have had crimps fail in the past. I have even gone to using the knot on my rigger connections.

Capt. Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've had crimps fail as well. Need to use right size crimps and crimp them properly. Not to say that knots don't work but I like the system I am set up for now. To each his own. Can do a crimp as fast as I can tie a good knot. Just prefer crimps when it comes to wire set ups.