Photos of out of season fish

315angler

Just another "over reach" by New York State and another example of policing the wrong stuff. They don't seem to worry quite as much about people lifting rainbows from the streams at night or increasing the number of DEC conservation officers to make enforcing the existing laws more of a reality,,,,make it look as though you are doing something valuable and get peoples attention so they won't pay attention to the incompetence of  administrators and appease King Andrew in the process....great state we've become.

Another well meaning yet unenforceable waste of paper and energy. So if i post a muskie pic today i can get fined? Or do i have to say i caught it today? And the dec will now have to waste time trolling facebook and sites like this? Who thinks up this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What about enforcing the regs that are already in place. From what I hear, there are fishermen on Waneta Lake almost every day now fishing for muskies out of season. I have also been told that they target them through the ice there all winter long. I also hear plenty of reports of undersize fish being kept and exceeding creel limit. Or catching a limit, unloading them and going out for more.

What I think is hilarious is I've read in NYON twice in the "cuffs and collars" section that people have been nabbed for taking too many bucks in a hunting season by posting pics on facebook.... now to snap a picture of an accidental catch is a stupid law... any new law to bring in fines. Thanks Andy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

And that is the right thing to do but do we need to be threatened by the state with fines etc. when a lot more egregious things are happening and are poorly enforced because of thin staffing ? The folks out west laugh at us....things are so over regulated here (e..g. so -called SAFE ACT etc.) and these same legislators are the ones being convicted of major crimes and gross ethical violations....what a joke!

I talked with someone at work who is in a bass yak tourny right now. Have to be in a yak and have to have the angle ruler with the fish in the picture. Fish go back with no issues but I can see how this could be misconstrued. This law is a direct response to a small percentage of people who are not prepared to handle the fish they catch. An unnecessary knee jerk reaction. by the empire. As stated above, it would be more beneficial to have known violations enforced before making new laws that are questionable.

I never gave it much thought before but now I suppose it will be a good idea not to snap a pic. I usually take the shot while the fish is in the water. In most cases I can take the pic and release it without ever touching it. Without a photo, my fish are going to be much bigger!

No not to far for me. A ethical sportsman would wait til it opens. There are regs for a reason.  Yea especialy when they stick a steel fish holder thru their gills just for a pic. and then gently release it? We live in a look at me society and that's just to bad.

I think the most dumb thing they ever did was make it legal to catch and release fish that aren't in season, like mentioned above these regs. are for a reason, now you can pull a huge female off the nest just for fun? Go back to the way it was a folks might be hesitant to hold up a huge smallie for a Kodak moment!!

I'm not much of a picture taker,but I can tell you that if I were on the water hanging perch minnows with my grandkids in april,and they chanced to hook up a walleye with any size,,,the picture would be taken and the fish released.

Well, If it is about ethics...

I am confident I can outdrive any law enforcement officer, however, he/she speeds even when there is no emergency and most everyone thinks that is ethical.  I speed and that's a bad thing.

Analogy relevancy you wonder?

DEC constantly and consistently do not practice what they preach.  Last example was the 17lb walleye from Ashokan that they photographed before releasing.  Are they better than me because their education and experience is better than mine.  Sure - whatever.  BTW - I have no problem with them photographing that fish whatsoever.

To me it is about absolute security.  Complete and utter abstinence works for sure.  A blanket law of no pictures to save all of the fish.  However, as human beings we know that instituting that abstinence idea doesn't work.  Also, (mishandled) fish will die even when no snapshot took place.  It is a misguided rule at best.  Persons justifying their position in the government.

They should end (or coincide with walleye/pike opener) the bass CnR season on some bodies of water.  People are using this as an avenue to fish for toothy critters which is a bigger issue.  This would be a + change for the good of the fishery.  The seasons are so long anyways, so why not?  Patterns are totally different by tourny time anyways.

Does it seem odd to anybody else that they have time to patrol social media?  With all the budget constraints and lack of actual physical presence at some critical fisheries.  Just venting - I pretty much do not care what they do.  I imagine a lot of them have to save their jobs on a weekly basis with how NYS operates.  Good luck to everyone and tight lines.  Remember, it is only breaking the law if you get caught.  Don't post your pictures.  And if you truly care about the health of the fish be prepared to release it before you catch it. 

Joe

also can snip it or print screen or do not share AND leave the fish alone to spawn in the first place.

I seriously doubt they are gonna come after you.  If it was tied into taxes , maybe, but cmon???  Seriously???  That whole idea is laughable.  Nobody can honestly tell me they do not see the intent as positive but that the logic supporting the solution has a very weak foundation. 

I know a guy who was sick last November, but he updated his face book account.  When he went back to work they tried to nail him for going fishing.  They asked him "  What are these pictures?",  In which he responded "Those are pictures of me holding a fish."  They responded "so you went fishing when you called in ill?"  He then said "Look at the green leaves on the trees.  Do you see any leaves on the trees outside?"

I just read an article that the DEC netted a white sturgeon in Black River Bay. It's was an oddity by no means but technically the picture of the fish they took violated their own rules as prohibited are not allowed to be photographed either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not trying to argue ethics, but taking a picture of a fish and releasing it takes about 10 seconds. PROPERLY  handled fish will have no problem with this. As far as spawning goes there are bass tournaments down south where fish are caught off of beds and taken up to 70 miles to a weigh in , do you think they find there nest again. I doubt it! They don't have any problems down there with quality or numbers. People have been taking pictures of fish In season or out since the inception of the camera. This is just another example of NYS lawmakers not working together with the people in the trenches to make laws and put funding where it is truly needed.

Just my 2 cents.