Bimini Top Type and Placement

I am looking to install a bimini top on my 2004 Smoker Craft Pro Mag 168 Tiller.  Last year it was just too hot out during the late morning and afternoon sun trolling on the Finger Lakes.  Anyone out there have any suggestion on the type of top I should buy, height of the top 46†or 54†and how or where should I install it to not interfere with the fish ability of the boat? I currently have two Bert’s rod holders per side mounted in the back area of the boat that I use along with down riggers on both corners in the back.  These items were put in these locations because it is a tiller model and for the most part I am fishing by myself.  Any suggestion based on previous experience would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

The 2 things I would consider are having it as far forward as possible(while still providing shade), and height.  I am 6ft, and can stand straight up underneath mine.  Because I am one to stay active and standing the whole trip, this was a must.  It is very uncomfortable to be hunched over standing the whole time.  And the reason I mention position forward is because of dipsy rods.  Because of those long leads, on a short boat it becomes difficult to bring the rod forward with a bimini support rod in the way.  Gotta bring that rod forward so someone can net that fish.

I stood in my boat and roughly measured from the gunwale to just above my head, so I could stand straight underneath like MadPerry mentioned.

And whatever you choose, if it comes with nylon strap tie downs, they recommend to put them at 45 degree angles... Get close to 45 on the front, but go vertical on the back for more fishing room. I did that on my boat with no problem. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have one I would sell to you if your interested. It is off of an Alumacraft 175 dominator.  The beam of the boat is 94".  If you want I can measure it and let you know.

I couldn't find a photo of mine from the side but I have a similar setup.  I went with 54" high.  I have it it mounted fairly forward on the boat and did not sacrifice any fishing space.  Shade is great on those hot days.  Here is a video to give you a rough idea of how it is set up.

• 2 weeks later...

As has been already said you want the bimini to be high enough to stand up under while totally erect and you need to remember the sun changes position during the day so if the bimini is too short from front to back it serves little purpose when the sun is high and on angle.

While it may be tempting to go with a bimini already made (perhaps cheaper) it is often not the best option. Have one custom made taking into consideration your exact rod holder placement, seating placement etc. There is nothing more frustrating than paying good money for something that doesn't work right and properly fitting boat canvas is definitely one of those things in life.

It may be a bit of a drive to Sodus Point from Ithaca but there is a canvas guy there named John Mann who could take a look at your specific boat and custom make you a top that you will be very satisfied with,,,,,he is one of the best around and very reasonable.  Here is his phone number: John Mann > Sodus Bay Canvas 315 871 6400

Edited by Sk8man