They were big and hungry tonight. Caught my personal best at 25 lbs and we had couple more at 20lbs. Trolled 4 hrs with multiple doubles and triples. Roughly 20 in the boat and lost a couple, one nice steelhead to top it off. We had more rods in the launcher than in the water because they wouldn't give us time to reset.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-152622-14318259020505_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14318259525676_thumb.jpg

post-152622-1431826001377_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14318260390266_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14318260686687_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14318260875421_thumb.jpg

Lakers I'm looking for high 30's to 40 degrees on the BOTTOM. Find that and look for marks. Speed I always fish 1.6 - 2 mph are ideal speed. They are fat and lazy slow down if there not hitting but your marking. We had multiple fish hit when we stalled the boat or in the turn. Colors I always start white. We had them hitting white chilly Willie mag, white with green dot spin doctor, etc. 300 copper took multiple fish and divers out 225-300. But we also took some on Riggers as high at 60 feet. If they are aggressive they'll eat anything, just stick it in their face and watch the rods

Spin doctors and flies, mag spoons is all I use. Right now I would start in 80 fow troll north till you mark on the bottom. We caught fish as deep as 150 fow on riggers down 125 with wire out 300 feet. But it is all temp specific. Sandy creek is the best for lakers and will remain that way for another month then they'll get pretty deep to chase.

Thanks for the info Jeremy.

You say they go pretty deep in about a month , I get it ,water temp. When do you go after them again , meaning do they come back

in closer or shallower in the fall ??  Most people want to catch salmon and stop fishing for them in sept on the lake it seems, just wondering if you could be trolling for lake trout in Oct. Nov.??

Thanks,

Chuck

In dead heat of summer they push way out deep but on a slow king bite we'll drop the riggers down to them. They definitely move back in once the water cools back down. However October November are the best of off shore steelhead times. That's the best fishing in my opinion on any species in lake O. I usually fish for lake trout when the salmon or steelhead aren't cooperating.

When summer gets in full swing I'm usually at least 400fow and toward the shipping lanes. Riggers 50 feet and up. I also run planers and in line sinkers from 1-2 ounces with ten foot leaders to spoons. The first time I stumbled out deep on Steelie bite, when inside water was 70 degree top to bottom and having a hard time on salmon, I was hooked.

Edited by Jeremy Goodison

These were the hot combos last couple times out, with green dot catching two to one. If their hungry speed is probably more important over color. If you don't have down temp and speed watch the bend in the dipsy rods to judge speed , and when you mark fish on the bottom there is the temp. I usually start with whites and greens for color then go from there. Alot guys use the cow bells ( probably best set up) but I don't think their needed to catch good numbers.

post-152622-14320820919654_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14320821096413_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14320821502205_thumb.jpg

What colors? For Spin Doctors and flies? Steelhead fishing in the lake sounds awesome!! I am disappointed about the brown trout not cooperating.. I read about them all winter and was excited!! It was a long cold winter so I am trying to enjoy every minute of summer!!

I do best when top water column is in low to mid 50 degrees. Always looking for a scum line out deep or some sign of current then check temps around that area. It can be a hunt but when guys are bumper to bumper fishing in tight you'll have the center of the lake to yourself . (always have a gps , old school compass, and radio). It can be very disorienting

Out there.

Reels I use saltist, but any line counter reel will work. I just prefer the fast retrieval and smooth drags of saltist. They'll last forever. My planer board rods I have 15 mono and rod on my riggers 25 lb McCoy mono. My planer board rods are staged 75- 150 feet being the boat. google trolling sinkers and that will help you picture it. feel free to private message me anytime. Trolling sinkers are nice if you don't have down riggers or want more lines out without all the clutter next to the boat.

Keel weights are cheep and easy. The red neck chart IS handy to ball park the lure depth. The other pic gives you some basic set up for leads using different gear. I started out of a pontoon with no down riggers. Even now no matter how much gear I have, I always have some keel sinkers running when were out deep targeting steelies up high.

post-152622-14320861565944_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14320862027785_thumb.jpg

Thanks.. I am going launch out of stony this weekend.. I am going to try for some lakers. I am going to try using Dipsey Divers. Should I use Spin Doctors and spoons?

Just so you know Shawn, he is talking about Sandy creek in Hamlin not the Sandy creek on the East end of the lake.