Treble hook or single

SINGLE HOOK IT DOES NOT DUE AS MUCH DAMAGE IF U WANT TO RELEASE THE FISH IF ITS A SMALL ONE

Except for their distubing tendency to find and poke out of steelhead's eye sockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The main reason I've changed over from trebles to Mustad Siwash 3X or 5x stainless singles on my spoons (for many years) is because treble hooks tend to work against each other in the fishes mouth resulting in lost fish...it is VERY seldom I lose fish on singles. Yes you have to carefully match up some of the spoons that are weight sensitive but it is worth it I have also never had one of those stainless hooks bend on a fish....plenty of trebles even the good quality ones.. I leave the trebles alone on sticks because of the weight sensitivity issue and use hardened ones on my home made trolling flies.  I have had a couple rainbows and steelies with the hook in the eye but I've also had fish of many species with deep trebles which took too long to extract resulting in lost fish.

Edited by Sk8man

Single hooks will allow your lure to have some action at slower speeds, however you can tune the spoon to get the same.  Single hook spoons also have two less hooks to sharpen; two less to get caught in net; and reduces the "ouch factor" (risk of getting a point in your hand.)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

What I was specifically referring to with matching up weight is with Sutton spoons especially on the middle to smaller ones. I don't change the hook on the very smallest one. (5) and I cut off the existing treble NOT the solid split ring

Single spoons certainly do change the action of spoons.  The weight behind the spoons determines how quickly and how far it flutters back and forth.  As said above, single can make them better or worse.  To avoid messing with the spoons, try to select a single hook that weighs very similar to the treble your are removing.  I've also found that adding a barrel swivel off the split ring helps the landing ratio because the hook can spin as the fish does too - this works with both singles or trebles.

Although you can make this very complicated if you want - I will say that my hookup to landing ratio is normally really good no matter whatever hook i'm using.  Last year I was at 75% landing ratio and this year I'm at an 78% landing ratio - with most of the fish getting off being jumping steelhead or coho twisting up the line.  That's acceptable to me.

I like Gamakatsu trebles very VERY sharp. A successful charter captain and tourney fisherman told me, use the trebles, your hope is to pin their mouth closed, cannot breath well with a closed mouth so they fight less.