St Lawrence Walleye "Novice"

Prof T

This is the season I've decided to work hard on understanding how to be successful catching eyes on the river as I've decided to make this my retirement home. After a winter of reading as many posts as I could find, restocking my tackle boxes using ALL of my Cabela's bonus bucks, pouring some bottom bouncers that seem like they will break my arm after the first couple of hours, I'm good to go.

Opening weekend was the annual family pilgrimage to Sacandaga for northerns. We generally are bait fishing post spawn monsters and between the early start date and ridiculously low water, I think we were early. Did get a few, only one in the mid 40's, all released. Since then it's been bullheads here ... just because .. who really doesn't like bullhead fishing? Lots of action, easy to clean and great on the table.

As the water is beginning to warm in places, I'm wondering when the walleye gurus get started? I don't see anyone deep water jigging at dusk as they do in the summer. Also with such diverse structural elements, what should I be seeking this time of year here? I have lots of experience on Oneida and Delta, but just getting used to a totally different type of fishery is challenging.

I have accumulated all of the associated gear, trolling motor, kicker, riggers, planers and am experienced with all of them. I like to troll, and the advantage this time of year is a distinct lack of crap on the surface. However, I just don't see guys out yet. Is that because fishing is impossible, or is it because they just aren't done with the opening up chores and fishing yet? 

I know post spawn is tough, and my guess is with the frigid water here, they spawn late. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My home stretch is Fisher's Landing to Alex Bay.

Gene (Prof T)

Last year I caught them the first day I tried which I believe was sometime in June . Full moons were great last year. Can't tell you when they really start on the river cause in May I'm chasing turkeys, Crappies, stream trout Lake Ontario Browns and fishing Chaumont, Black River Bay, Lisbon or Quinte for walleyes. I'll let you know when I get my first River eye. Headed to do some stream fly fishing tomorrow and Wednesday.

Need to find the gang around Clayton that are hand lining. They are crushing eyes dragging large balls ala 3 way, in the mud in a circle, as in dragging a downrigger weight but they have a ball system on a reel retrieve set up. The more they drag the same area, the more they are catching. I just heard about this today in my local bait shop. Kevin legg might have heard about it, he lives around there. Guys are fishing around them not catching with conventional methods.

The FLW Pro Walleye Tour was won by Ross Rothe on the Detroit River, he was hand lining using a 2# ball with a 3 way swivel the floating worm harness was 28" above the ball, they wouldn't say what the leader length was. I made a rig up using a big fly rod reel with auto retrieve and mounted it to a short piece of rod just enough so it sits in a rod holder and used 1-3# balls depending on depth and current. I used 80# Power Pro for line and a fluorocarbon leader of about 10ft. There is a place on the Delaware River that has a deep hole that's about 50 yards long, it falls almost strait down and the other side is the same, it's shaped like a oval bowl, we have been successful there using this set up catching nice eyes and trout. The auto retrieve is nice to pick up the slack line. I have used this method on the Black River also and it worked well down by the islands where there is a big rock that drops into 30ft of water and strong current. I recommend using a batters glove as the line will cut your hands. With handlining, there's no pole to fight the fish so if it's a bigger fish you get jerked around. It's a way to get baits down in areas that conventional tactics just won't work. If I see fish in a hole a lot of times I just put the worm harness out first then the ball slowly let out line until I feel the bottom and let the current do the trick, also when trolling you just want the ball to bounce off the bottom, not just drag along, although I have dragged the ball where the bottom was flat and sandy or muddy, this sometimes triggers a strike. I haven't used this method in years, but will give it a shot if I get to the St. Lawrance River!!!

Years ago we used to hand line lead core on Oneida with very light flutter spoons, bites almost always triggered by that stopped, flutter back action. A lot different than what PAP and Roughrider are talking about here, but I do remember losing a lot of fish to slack line without a rod.

I my original gear list, I forgot to mention a "boat trailer". I wonder what the post spawn fishing downriver offers? I've never been afraid to take a charter to learn, and I know there are guys operating down in the Morristown area.

I've read about the hand lining in the Detroit River current. That's what got me started using the heavy bottom bouncers in the River. The weights I use are around a pound or slightly less and I can troll them in 65 fow with current but they are best in 25-55 feet. This method reminds me of the old Finger Lakes Victrola Rigs we used for lakers when I was a kid. You certainly need special gear to fish deep currents and it can really wear you out. Although it's not the most enjoyable method of fishing I have found it to be highly effective when more traditional rigging is not possible ( especially with current and depth contour changes)

I've handlined in the detroit river most guys run a two or three pound weight with a six foot leader with a non diving stick bait.I don't know how it would work in the st lawrence because of being directly under the boat with the clear water,the detroit is pretty dirty but the current in the detriot is no stronger than the st lawrence.

Hoping to hit the river this weekend also. I think we are still 3 or 4 weeks out before we will see some decent mornings and nights. From my past experience. I have tried but for what ever reason it may be seems like end June first part of July is when it gets going. I will also post results when I get out.

Hey pap, delaware water gap hole behind the greeting center? You can't launch there anymore, ramp washed away. We got run off by Feds, only canoes now.

Why did you get run off, that makes no sence? Only tippy canoes in the river or the launch? I guess I'm going to dig my creation out and give it a go as I have friends that own properties in the Clayton area, soon as I get my lower unit back together, and after the hulagans go back home from beer cation ill be up!!! Till then tight lines to all and have a nice holiday. Pap.

Edited by pap

Sure appreciate the advice and information you guys are willing to share. Gave it a couple hours this AM mostly trying to get a feel for the heavy bottom bouncers in the current out front. No fish caught, but no gear lost yet either.