Trolling Bag Size

Jolly II

I bought a bigger boat last year, 26' Baha Weekender, single screw.  After a lot elbow grease I finally got to fish over the weekend in it, and I'm liking all the space I have.

Unfortunately I'm finding with the current trolling bags I have, I don't have great speed control.  About the slowest I can troll down to is about 2.3 MPH down speed, and that's at ~750 RPMs.  I don't like trolling at a low RPM like that either, I'd like to be able to troll aroun 1000-1100 RPMS.  One bag is a 22" diameter, and the other is 30" diameter. 

I'm thinking of going to either 2 - 36" bags, or 2 - 48" bags.  Do you guys have any thoughts on what size???  I was thinking 48", only because that would give me better speed control, and a higher trolling RPM, but I don't want to go over board either and be trolling at like 1800 RPMs.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a bigger boat last year, 26' Baha Weekender, single screw.  After a lot elbow grease I finally got to fish over the weekend in it, and I'm liking all the space I have.

Unfortunately I'm finding with the current trolling bags I have, I don't have great speed control.  About the slowest I can troll down to is about 2.3 MPH down speed, and that's at ~750 RPMs.  I don't like trolling at a low RPM like that either, I'd like to be able to troll aroun 1000-1100 RPMS.  One bag is a 22" diameter, and the other is 30" diameter. 

I'm thinking of going to either 2 - 36" bags, or 2 - 48" bags.  Do you guys have any thoughts on what size???  I was thinking 48", only because that would give me better speed control, and a higher trolling RPM, but I don't want to go over board either and be trolling at like 1800 RPMs.

Thanks in advance.

I had 2 of the 28" Amish Outfitter Beefy Bags and they were plenty for my 24' Thompson, almost dragged me to a dead stop at idle with both in the water,  I usually only trolled with one where necessary.

Tim

You are going to burn a lot more fuel at 1000 to 1100 rpms.  My 305s pur at 600 to 850 usually.  After 850 or 900 I put another bag in to get my rpms down.  Just the way I do it.  Also with 2 bags in the water and a single screw motor you may find you will not be able to turn opposite your motor rotation.   My guess is your single is spinning clockwise so you will want a bag on your starboard side.

Thanks for the info guys! 

I'll chew in this for a few days, and go from there. 

This is also my first inboard, I've had outboards and an I/O before this.  It looked like a real clown shown the first time this year pulling out of my slip, and then back in later after fishing.  Everybody missed out, my Dad was the only one around to bust my chops about it.

Edited by Jolly II

Thanks in advance.

email amish outfitters and he will size you up and get you what you need