Really?

What is a "splake". Never heard of that species before.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

cought one years ago on the Salmon  river,I think it was a cross between a brookie and a laker.

Would you happen to have a pic?? Would like to see what they look like.. They sound interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The DEC stocked them years ago, they didn't reproduce and I don't think they stock them anymore.

no pic. and its been so long I couldn't even discribe one for you. :doh:

There are a couple of lakes in the ADKS that they stock them in, been meaning to fish for them up there just haven't gotten to it yet.  I used to go up around Timmins and there where lakes that you could only get to by snowmobile that where full of them.

Here's a splake image I got off the internet.

Splake_zps90krgtxx.jpg

Yes, they are a sterile hybrid between a brook (Speckled) trout and Lake Trout.

I have caught several in Green Bay over the years, don't have any digital pics of the ones we got.  very pretty fish though.

Tim

• I would eat pickerel before I would eat lake trout, brown trout, rainbow trout, chinook salmon, and coho salmon amongst other more universal choices. 

Pickerel are so much harder to fillet than pike that I usually leave all the bones, parboil to remove them and refry in butter and seasoning.  Can add to alfredo for pasta dish or make fish cakes for sandwiches.

Never had Sheepshead but I want to try it.  There is a list of things I will eat when I am hungry meaning I won't eat those things unless I am starving and sheepshead is not on that list yet.

Bones are a deterrent to keeping for the table more so than flavor or texture of the fish.  If you have the extra time, you should consider it.

Guy at work asked me for some carp.  I said really?  He said back in China they pay $12/lb for carp and it is good.  I said that is asian carp which is mild and tastes good.  These are European carp which tastes undescribably horrible.  Do you know how to remove the mud vein?  He did not and he insisted, so I caught him two in May last year while bullhead fishing.  He confirmed what we already knew - don't eat the carp.  For reference, he also asked for suckers and I caught him a bunch of them he raved about them for weeks. 

My dad once told me how to make carp, first you need a thin pine board cook the fish on the board when the meat is white and flakey, basically done you fire the fish in the garbage and eat the board!! YUMMY LOL.

My dad once told me how to make carp, first you need a thin pine board cook the fish on the board when the meat is white and flakey, basically done you fire the fish in the garbage and eat the board!! YUMMY LOL.

This took longer to be posted than I thought it would! I bet it works on sheephead too. lol I tried sheephead smoked & didn't care for it. Edited by lineman49

I don't know what would be worse…drinking the juice from a bait shop dumpster….or trying to choke down some sheepshead.  Good god why would someone eat that fish

Guy at work asked me for some carp. I said really? He said back in China they pay $12/lb for carp and it is good. I said that is asian carp which is mild and tastes good. These are European carp which tastes undescribably horrible. Do you know how to remove the mud vein? He did not and he insisted, so I caught him two in May last year while bullhead fishing. He confirmed what we already knew - don't eat the carp. For reference, he also asked for suckers and I caught him a bunch of them he raved about them for weeks.

Same fish. The "European Carp" ARE Asian carp that were transplanted to Europe. Carp are native to Asia.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think he was referring to grass carp. I should have clarified. Asian carp is redundant. I should have said big head and silver carp taste better than common (aka European) carp? - because they are in fact different fish. I am purely going by what chefs have testified to. Also, judging by my friends pallat experince. I have never eaten any species of carp. I do not want to. That is on my when I am hungry list.

Joe

Don't sell them too short. My grandfather was a retired commercial fisherman on Green Bay and also smoked fish commercially as part of the business, and in his opinion, a 10-12 lb female carp was the best smoked fish out there. Males of any size weren't worth a crap in his opinion. He smoked whitefish, chubs (cisco) and several others, and he smoked a mean brown trout and salmon in the back yard long after he retired, so he's someone who's opinion on the matter I have a lot of respect for.

Tim

Don't sell them too short. My grandfather was a retired commercial fisherman on Green Bay and also smoked fish commercially as part of the business, and in his opinion, a 10-12 lb female carp was the best smoked fish out there. Males of any size weren't worth a crap in his opinion. He smoked whitefish, chubs (cisco) and several others, and he smoked a mean brown trout and salmon in the back yard long after he retired, so he's someone who's opinion on the matter I have a lot of respect for.

Tim

I also have eaten smoked carp and I thought it was fine.  ( it taste like chicken). :lol: :lol: