New to forum...intro. Also Looking for Canandaigua Anglers

Hey folks, new to the forum. Looks like this is one of the only forum's for the Finger Lakes, so I thought I would jump in. I was looking to see if anyone else fishes Canandaigua Lake.

I finally got my kayak rigged for fishing this season and have been doing pretty well in the shallows so far. Wednesday night it was overcast and light southerly winds. I was killing rock bass on the west side of the break wall by the city pier (no one from shore had a bite, but the rockies were hitting a 4' diving minnow on almost every cast by the breakwall). Saturday I finally got my fish finder set up and headed out. Didn't see much on the FF, and the The Rockies were gone. The fish seemed in short supply with a strong north wind. Hit a nice 4lb. largemouth back in the lagoon and a couple nice perch by the marina.

What I am looking for is some ideas of places, in deeper water to look for Lake Trout. I have the fish finder, and pole holders which, when paddling, allows me to "troll". Obviously I can't paddle forever, so I am looking for some near shore deep holes that I may be able to troll between bass and panfish spots. I see the lake drops off quite quickly near the east side of the lake. Is that my best bet, or is there a better place?

Also any good locations for pike/pickerel or bass?

Thanks, looking forward to sharing ideas with all of you!

I have not fished there in a few years but may try in a week or 2. If you can get the kayak in near the pump house on the west side that can be good this time of year and a good spot before that is a nice dropoff that goes down pretty quick,you would have to check on a map. Good luck

Once you get near the pump house (West shore), you are in 100' of water. Not sure how easy the access is from there, but between the pier and there along the West shore I know are some nice bass and panfish spots. :D

Hmmm... I am trying to picture where the pump house is. How far down West Lake is it? Are there any distinguishable features from the lake that I can use for marking, or better yet, anyone have the GPS cordinates, that would be helpful!

Hey there you may want to try Onanda park on West Lake Rd. aka Co. Rd 16 the boat launch has aramp that is open in winter but you may be able to slip your kayak in there. There is also a fishing pier or dock that you can cast a 3/4 oz K O Wobbler out and have it fall into about 60' deep area. The drop off is very close to shore near there. Remember many fish are in close right now and will be there for longer than you may think. Certainly longer than I ever thought they would be there. The Pumphouse is WEST SIDE just north of German Bros Marina. It is large red building .

I have tried Ononda Park before, they won't let you launch a kayak even if you walk it from the parking lot unless its "winter" season (in other words no staff on duty). I would really like to try that drop off, but it's quite a paddle from the normal launches. German Bros may let me go off their space without much hassle. Thanks for the info, I can get some coordinates from google maps for my GPS, and find a quick launch area nearby!

Anybody have any good lure ideas and/or general locations (depth/cover) for different species in Canandaigua this time of year?

Since Onanda is out you should try south end and paddle west shore at least to first point, Cook's Point I think, if you a have a depth finder and gps you should be to find fish. I would pull orange stickbaits like Rapala GFR J 7 or J 11 on planer boards so you don't get lines tangled. Try stickbaits or spoons and use flouro leader with dark colored snap swivels. You should be able to get into browns rainbows or lakers all cruising shallows right now. Shallows adjacent to deeper water areas.