Otisco 5/19

MeatHunter737

Finally got out to Otisco for my first time this year... trolled from 845 till 1130. One bomber, one HJ.

Went one for two, landed a 21"...HJ took both hits. Wind laid down just before I launched but picked back up before I could get to Justins midnight location... didn't see any other boats out tonight.

20150520_002122.jpg

20150520_012346.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yea by all means get lights on, not so much for rules or to sound like a Ahole, but the goons over the holiday will dive over you.

315 that was me ... went east to west and back about 6 times. I was just south of the restaurant when the wind really kicked up around 1130. Figured if had seen any boats around I would click my hat light on to let them know I was there. Maybe I could velcro a small battery lantern to the front and leave the red light on??

I don't own a power boat and never took a course, I assumed that running lights were only mandatory for power boats. That a lantern or flashlight is all that's required for canoes and kayaks?

I put my cap light on Sunday night because I forgot to put my running lights on my lil 8ftr.  I was on a lake in PA that gets some campers and someone decided to go skiing at dusk.  this is when I was really wishing I had my running lights  I was really thankful that i had a cap light with me.  Small boats should have running lights wherever there are larger faster powered vessels.   It is like $30 and you can P/U at Wally world.  Most I know run on alkaline batteries and are easy to install.  I also use a fishing vest / PFD combo.  Never leave home without it.

Be safe.  I always tell people that you can be in the right and still end up dead. 

I just saw some clip ons in a Bass Pro Shops flyer, they had both types, the red/green and one that stuck up a foot or two as the white light.  Wasn't paying too much attention to them but I think $25-$30 apiece.  Battery powered as BSmaster said.

Anyways, nice fish!  Heading up there myself Sunday I hope.  In between the BBQs this weekend.

Edited by hermit

Believe me... I'm not one of those "it'll never happen" type of people. I am always aware when I am in my kayak and always wear a hat light ready to click it on. I just didn't have it on last night because like I said I didnt see any boats. I may be ignorant of any laws pertaining to small row boats, but I definitely will be thinking of how to make myself more lit up.

U probably overheads us talking I just meant u should have them for the yahoos out zipping around at night. Not that there were last night but they can come up fast and might not notice u flick your headlamp on. We could barely see you and we weren't driving 20+ mph with wind in our eyes

Amazon has cheap lights that I think are strips that you could easily stick on perfect for kayak or canoe, whole bunch of stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Jeff,

I know you are one of the good guys afield and I've been on the water 100's of times in a canoe with no lights on but I was an idiot! My son and I about got hit by a float plane on seventh lake because I thought I could flash any oncoming boats....so much can happen at night...never take chances.

It seems like everyone has a kayak these days. I think they come standard on most Suburu models. They show up where they didn't used to,like in open water on all size lakes. A lot of them are rentals being paddled by folks with no clue about boat etiquette. We need to keep this in mind,kind of like we do with motorcycles. If you're paddling keep in mind you are hard to see even if your boat is orange or safety green. At night don't assume the light can be seen,especially if you are between shore and another boat. Your light is easily lost in the background of cottage and dock lights. And there are plenty of inexperienced boat operators around and some are texting,staring at the sonar,and drinking. You have to watch out for yourself out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United