Afw wire?

If you search for a chart on tensile strength for 7 strand wire I believe it has close to or at the lowest of the common brands in terms of strength. It was a whileagotht I saw it so you may want to check it out if you can find it. I've had good luck with Accustrand (Cablestrand Corporation) Mailn and Mason in that order.

If you search for a chart on tensile strength for 7 strand wire I believe it has close to or at the lowest of the common brands in terms of strength. It was a whileagotht I saw it so you may want to check it out if you can find it. I've had good luck with Accustrand (Cablestrand Corporation) Mailn and Mason in that order.

It would be nice for you to supply this chart before making such a statement, along with the source of the "chart".  While it may or may not be accurate, This is how rumors are started and false beliefs are formed. 

As far as American Fishing Wire goes, I have used their 7 strand 30 lb and 20 lb wire for years. The higher the breaking strength the thicker dia. the wire is probably going to be. Same holds true in the reverse. Keep in mind that the larger the dia. of the wire, the less depth you will achieve, thus the reason some of us use 20 lb wire. Afw 30 lb is .012 inches and the 20 lb is .011 inches in dia.

AFW makes quality wire used by many charters and tournament teams throughout the great lakes, but they mainly target the saltwater fishery so we don't hear that much about them on Lake O.

Edited by Fishtails

Geez....I was only trying to give the guy some info to check out based on something I had seen in the past and I indicated that in the post. I didn't say that the wire was crap or anything I said the tensile strength was less in the chart than some other brands and it was something he might want to check out.

I tried it.  I never had a problem with breakage but I didn't like the stiffness as it coiled easier than Malin.  I do use the AFW downrigger cable and like it.

I called out Less? I think you guys are a tad touchy. Lol. I simply said if you are making a claim saying a chart said a product may be inferior, to similar products, we should also provide said chart. I think that is how we would want to be treated if we were in the tackle business? If I am wrong, I apologize . It sure won't be the first time.

By the way, I never said I had a chart, the info is in my catalog and on their website. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Fishtails

Just making a reply to someone saying they should supply a chart to back up there statement yet they proceed to rattle off "facts" without no chart of there own to back up their statements. No credibilty in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Here's the link to a chart comparing several brands of wire that was posted on GLA back in 2012.

http://www.glanglerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?12613-wire-line-question/page2&highlight=wire+test

I've used AFW wire both 30# and 20# test and never had any break offs from a fish. Doesn't matter what brand you use when it gets into one of your other lines, especially copper.

Thanks Mudflat :yes: . I looked on my computer and on the Internet for over 2 hours for that chart as I didn't remember it was embedded in a video. It was definitely the one I saw back then and I only remembered the result which very much surprised me at the time (that is what happens to dinosaur brains like mine :lol:) . I also wish to say that Fishtails made a very good and valid point when he said that statements made without the data to back it up carry the risk off starting "rumors" on the Internet which can be very unfair to individuals or companies and I would never wish to become part of that scenario.  Once again though the issue points up that personal preference plays a big role in our decisions regarding equipment and if if something works for us we have confidence in it and continue to use it.....

I also wish to say that Fishtails made a very good and valid point when he said that statements made without the data to back it up carry the risk off starting "rumors" on the Internet which can be very unfair to individuals or companies and I would never wish to become part of that scenario.  Once again though the issue points up that personal preference plays a big role in our decisions regarding equipment and if if something works for us we have confidence in it and continue to use it.....

Thanks Les, that's all I was sayin. I appreciate your efforts and I never said there wasn't truth to it, but we sometimes get things backwards because we are human - and then false info begins to be spread and that isn't fair to the manufacturer.

Tile Man got his panties in a bunch and I think he totally missed my point.  Maybe I could have worded it better but really.... :)

Edited by Fishtails

Tileman is a good dude and well intentioned and should be cut some slack. We're all in this thing to learn from each other these responses give us each something to think about and take away from this. :)  Best of luck to each of you this season and to any of the other LOU folks reading this.

Easy ladies! 

AFW is the thinnest 30lb wire on the market (that I'm aware of), but has the lowest break strength. We've run it for many many seasons. For the first 100' on a 2 setting it's about a 2:1 ratio. We've rarely cracked gear off on it, and if we did it was because we were careless with the wire. You WILL want to be EXTRA CAREFUL when handling this wire. NEVER let it get loose, or you will experience kinks.

I've been on boats running the other brands, and I'm amazed at how terrible the dive curve is on those other brands. I say it's terrible because I'm use to my AFW. Obviously, it all works. However, one boat is running the Smart-Troll in Rochester and I turned him onto AFW. He ran anther popular brand for the last few years. Yea, he caught a ton of fish on that brand. He put the probes on each wire and monitored the Smart-Troll. The extra wire need on the other brand to achieve the depth of the AFW was significant.

Being a charter fishing boat I want the blow back and wires to enter the water as close to the boat as possible to avoid clients that cant control fish at the back of the boat. Hence, why we run A-TOM-MIK 15lb torpedos and AFW. 

Thanks for the feed back yank! I have a chance to purchase I 5000' roll for $70. I thought it might have been junk cause of the price. Never used it before I run the blood run but its up there on cost. I'm definitely gonna give it a shot! I still can't believe how much bickering this simple question caused! You guys are a tough bunch!

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rather than "bickering" I'd call it "spirited discussion" :)  A number of useful points were made in response to your question and Rick adds another important dimension based on day after day heavy use of the wire as contrasted with most of our less frequent use of it. If the wire is standing  up under those conditions tensile strength may not be the most important variable for our use of the wire.....cutting through the water with relative ease is really what we are looking for and if the wire gets the job done repeatedly without major problems it is a winning situation no matter how you slice it.

Hey Matt, that is below wholesale. I have their current wholesale catalog and price list and I can't mention wholesale prices - that is really cheap. Suggested retail on 1000 ft 30 lb spools is $52.99. Just be sure it's 30# Surfstrand either A030 (bright) or B030 (camo). AFW makes a lot of different wires for saltwater application s. Good Luck with your season!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app